The University of Virginia Library is seeking a progressive librarian to serve as the liaison to the McIntire Department of Music, particularly to the Critical and Comparative Studies and the Composition and Computer Technologies programs. Reporting to the Head of the Arts Libraries, this liaison librarian will provide in-depth, subject-based research and teaching support for faculty, students and visiting researchers, as well as general support for users of music materials across the curriculum.
The successful candidate will:
The successful candidate will:
- assess the current and future information needs of the department and will collaborate with faculty members, colleagues, and technology experts, both outside the Library and across Library departments, to identify and implement new and creative ways to enhance research, teaching and learning and to promote new forms of scholarly communication;
- oversee development of collections in all formats;
- ake a leading role in projects or initiatives that use music collections;
- work closely with the Performance Librarian and other members of the Music Library, as well as with members of the Fine Arts Library, Clemons Library (including the Digital Media Lab), the Scholar's Lab and other groups dedicated to supporting traditional and emerging forms of both scholarly and creative work in music;
- work with Special Collections colleagues to expose and make accessible our unique or rare music collections;
- have a high awareness of communication and preservation issues affecting music in the university, including copyright and licensing, established and emerging media formats (audio and visual), music-related instructional technology, and all forms of dissemination for scholarly and creative work in music;
- participate in national conversations relating to musical scholarship, composition, and performance as they interface with the 21st-century research library.
- Advanced degree in music;
- Broad knowledge of traditional and new models of collection development and management in music;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- MLS or MLIS;
- Experience in supporting musical scholarship, composition, and performance in all media;
- In-depth understanding of established and emerging technologies for musical instruction, research, composition, and performance;
- Understanding of metadata and its importance in support of music scholarship;
- Knowledge of two foreign languages (German and French preferred).
Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website at https://jobs.virginia.edu/.
Search by posting number 0611597, complete an application, and attach cover letter and resume, with contact information for three current, professional references.
For assistance with this process contact Jennifer Harmon (firstname.lastname@example.org), Library Human Resources Generalist at (434) 924-4695.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/zh7s453