Dean of University Library
Lenn & Dixie Hannon Library
Southern Oregon University
Screening begins 1/14/08
Open until filled
Southern Oregon University invites applicants and nominations for the position of Dean of University Library. SOU seeks a progressive and collegial leader with a clear understanding of library and information services in the 21st Century student-centered academic library. The Dean of University Library will apply strong analytic, strategic, communication, and interpersonal skills to leadership in the setting of priorities, allocation of resources, and decision making for the Southern Oregon University Hannon Library. (For more information about Hannon Library and Southern Oregon University see http://hanlib.sou.edu and http://www.sou.edu/
The Dean of University Library in collaboration with library faculty oversees all operations and services of Hannon Library. Within a collegial environment the Dean leads and inspires faculty and staff in implementing the Hannon Library vision for the future; seeks extramural support; promotes library development initiatives; provides technological leadership for the library; supports the development and implementation of an information literacy program for students; engenders a dynamic, client-centered service environment; fosters the development of quality collections and services, and encourages assessment activities at all levels. The Dean of University Library reports to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs and works cooperatively with the Library faculty and staff within a collegial system of shared governance. The Dean participates in the Deans Council and the Academic Planning Council. The Dean is eligible for tenure at the rank of Full Professor.
· ALA accredited master’s degree.
· An earned doctorate or second subject master’s degree.
· Wide understanding of the current technological information environment.
· Thorough understanding of the nature and inter-relationship of all operations of the contemporary academic library.
· Knowledge of emerging trends in academic librarianship.
· Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Successful record of collaborative leadership in a collegial environment.
· Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible and successful management experience in an academic library.
· Demonstrated contribution to the profession through scholarly publications and service to the rank of Full Professor in the Library or the equivalent.
· Experience managing a complex budget and making maximum use of resources.
· Experience with strategic planning and managing library facilities.
· Demonstrated leadership experience with outcomes assessment.
Competitive negotiable salary. Applications received by January 14, 2008 will receive full consideration. Review continues until position is filled. Position starting date July 2008.
Southern Oregon University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to development of an inclusive multicultural community.
For a full position description, list of qualifications and application procedure please see http://www.sou.edu/hrs/jobs/deanlibrary.html