The University of Southern California (USC) Norris Medical Library seeks an innovative, energetic and service-oriented individual to provide outstanding leadership for the library’s Division of Educational & Research Services. The Norris Medical Library is an academic research library serving the Schools and Departments of Medicine, Pharmacy, Occupational Science and Biokinesiology/Physical Therapy. The library is strongly user-focused; committed to providing access to a wide variety of electronic information resources; and deeply involved in educating faculty, students, and staff on digital resources, bioinformatics tools, database searching, evidence-based health care, personal digital assistants, bibliographic management and presentation software. The library staff of 39 FTE includes 13 librarians. For additional information, see the library’s web pages www.usc.edu/nml.
· Hires, trains, schedules, assigns and evaluates the work of six professional members of the Educational and Research Services division, the reference office assistant, and the Access Services Manager.
· Directs client service strategies and operations and seeks innovative approaches to information services.
· Leads the planning, development, and delivery of the library’s education program. Collaborates with faculty to maximize the integration of information literacy instruction into the curriculum of Health Sciences schools and programs.
· Participates in the activities of the reference department.
· Oversees and participates in the library’s liaison outreach program.
· Serves on committees of the Health Sciences schools and programs to enhance communication between the library and its user population.
· Keeps abreast of new information resources and participates in collection development.
· Serves on the senior management team and assists the director in library planning, management and innovation.
· Prepares administrative and statistical reports for the director.
Qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited library school and a minimum of five years experience in an academic health sciences library. Strong oral and written skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with culturally diverse library users and adult learners. Demonstrated creativity and initiative. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Intellectually curious and comfortable with change.
Salary/Status: Beginning salary between $58,000 - $80,000 depending on experience. This position is in a continuing-appointment track, the USC librarian’s equivalent to tenure.
Benefits: 37½ hour week; 22 days vacation; paid sick leave; disability plan; retirement plan (TIAA/CREF and other options); tuition assistance; paid medical, dental and life insurance; credit union; group auto and homeowner's insurance available.
Send resume or direct inquiries to: Daniel Grande
Norris Medical Library
University of Southern California
2003 Zonal Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90089-9130
Tel: (323) 442‑1130, Fax: (323) 442‑2937
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER