SCPS offers courses to nontraditional adult learners across the Commonwealth of Virginia through centers in Abingdon, Charlottesville, Northern Virginia, Newport News, Richmond, and Roanoke. Students enrolled through SCPS have the option to learn in the classroom, online, and through other modes of delivery. The librarian will provide in-person support for SCPS’s teaching and learning activities (with some travel around Virginia required) as well as teach online workshops/classes and provide remote reference for SCPS students.
In addition, the librarian will actively engage with other online and distance education initiatives at UVA, helping to plan library services, coordinate policies, and provide support for subject librarians in other areas. An enthusiasm for experimentation with emerging technologies and the ability to work with the disparate Schools and Departments across the Grounds will be very important.
Some weekend and evening hours will be required. The librarian may also engage in general reference desk duty, collection development, and special projects.
- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science or post-graduate degree in a related discipline
- At least 2 years of experience in reference and/or instruction in a research library
- Strong public service orientation
- Ability to provide reference services to library users through one-on-one consultation and through virtual methods
- Ability to teach library research skills to classes both in person and online
- Knowledge of and ability to work with technology for teaching classes online
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in instructional technologies and enthusiasm for implementing new technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Well-developed organization and planning skills
- Exceptional ability to think innovatively and strategically in order to solve complex problems
- Ability to work as part of University and cross-departmental teams
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience with online course management systems and related emerging technologies
- Second subject master’s degree
Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website at https://jobs.virginia.edu/.
Search by posting number 0612567, complete an application, and attach cover letter and resume, with contact information for three current, professional references.
For assistance with this process contact Jennifer Harmon (email@example.com), Library Human Resources Generalist at (434) 924-4695.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.