The Drexel University Libraries seeks an energetic and innovative manager with relevant education and experience to successfully lead librarians and work with faculty to embed coursework with information literacy, research skills and related lifelong learning skills. This individual will also have experience in assessment of instruction, at course and curricular levels, and reference services. To advance the Drexel mission of preparing graduates well for the workforce through its traditions of experiential learning, the Libraries will provide the incumbent with challenging opportunities for developing and applying leadership, creativity, and knowledge of diverse learners, online and on-site pedagogies, scholarly information, and program management.
The Manager, Learning Engagement provides managerial leadership for the Drexel University Libraries' partnership programs of Instruction and Reference which actively engage with the educational life of the university. These programs support the University's mission of developing students who are self-directed, life-long learners through traditional and innovative partnerships with faculty and other academic staff. The Libraries' impact on student learning is framed by the Drexel Student Learning Priorities (DSLP) core competencies for Drexel graduates that include information literacy. Specifically, the Learning Engagement programs aim to enable learners to explore and develop superior levels of DSLP competencies to identify, evaluate and use authoritative information resources, and to facilitate faculty teaching.
The Manager is responsible for working collaboratively with librarians, other Libraries' staff, and campus educators to design, implement, assess, and continually improve integration of information-driven learning skills in the Drexel student experience. Reporting to the Director of Academic Partnerships, the Manager supervises seven librarians at the University City campus and leads all librarians involved in the Libraries Instruction and Reference programs within a matrix management organization. As a member of the Libraries' Managerial Leadership Group, this Manager contributes to the ongoing operations of the Libraries through participation in strategic planning and divisional decision-making, and in implementation of library policies. Accountability is regularly reported through program goal setting, fiscal and performance evaluation, and client-based satisfaction and outcomes assessment. Librarians are expected to be professionally active through participation in campus activities, external service, and/or publication and presentation.
- ALA accredited MLS or equivalent graduate degree
- Minimum four years of professional academic library experience
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of pedagogy and instructional technique
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of reference and consultation services
- Evidence of program and outcomes assessment skills
- Record of growth and success in management responsibilities, including supervisory experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in higher education
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management experience
- Additional graduate work or research experience outside the fields of librarianship and information science
- Demonstrated success working within a matrix organization
- Demonstrated success working in a changing organization
The Manager, Learning Engagement is responsible for:
- Managing programs of Instruction and Reference
- Supervision of seven liaison librarians
- Liaison activities to at least one college or department, dependent on academic background & professional experience
- Participation in divisional leadership efforts towards planning, assessment & evaluation
- Participation in Libraries' Managerial Leadership Group
- Engagement in professional development through presentations, publications, continuing education and/or personal involvement in professional associations
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=77374 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Manager, Learning Engagement. The requisition number is 5458.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.