- Provides oversight of the activities at Hardin Library’s three service points, including the Basic Skills Simulation Center, the Interlibrary Loan Department and basic stacks management
- Directly supervises 4 FTE Merit staff members (Access Services Supervisor, Reference Assistant, Interlibrary Loan Supervisor, and Collections Manager)
- Represents the Hardin Library within the University community and beyond regarding daily operations of the library
- Works with unit supervisors to establish policies, procedures, priorities and goals for Access Services, Collection Management/Stacks Maintenance, Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery, and Reference
- Troubleshoots any problems including user verification, vendors, etc. and works with University Libraries’ personnel as needed to resolve the problem
- Participates in Hardin Library activities and meetings
- Monitors and stays abreast of trends and practices in health sciences libraries, particularly in the areas of Circulation, Reserves, Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery, Collection Management/Stacks Maintenance, and Reference
- Evaluates aspects of Hardin Library services and identifies areas for improvement
- Provides research consultations for faculty, staff and students
- Serves as liaison to assigned colleges or disciplines
- Serves on committees at the five University of Iowa health colleges and affiliated hospital as requested
- Serves on University Libraries’ committees
- Contributes to and learns from the profession through professional organizations and publications
Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library science program
- Experience with daily operations of an academic or health sciences library
- Experience supervising library assistants and/or students
- General knowledge of emerging trends in librarianship
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the workplace or community
- Three years of professional experience to qualify at the Specialist Librarian level plus demonstrated interest in professional development that will enhance the candidate’s value to the Libraries, the University, the profession, or the scholarly community.
- Six years of professional experience to qualify at the Expert Librarian level plus evidence of continuing achievement, particularly at a national level, in an area or areas of professional interest that will enhance his/her value to the Libraries, the University, the profession of librarianship, or the scholarly community.
- 3 years or more of supervisory experience
- Experience providing reference, research and instructional services
- Experience or general knowledge of health sciences information sources
- Ability to efficiently manage multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to work with and think creatively about emerging as well as established technologies
- General understanding of the mission and functions of a research library and the information needs of academic users
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and sensitively with library and university colleagues, faculty, staff and students
Salary and appointment: Appointment will be made at the Specialist (salary range $47,000 - $60,000) or Expert (salary range $55,000 - $76,000) Librarian level, depending on qualifications. Start date is negotiable. The University of Iowa offers an attractive package of benefits including 24 days of paid vacation per year, your choice between two retirement plans and two University of Iowa health insurance plans, dental insurance, pre-tax child and health care spending accounts, and additional options.
Application Procedure: To apply for this position, please visit the University of Iowa Jobs@UIOWA website at http://jobs.uiowa.edu. To help facilitate your application process, note the requisition number 62957. Applications must be received by August 22, 2013.
THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
To see a complete position vacancy announcement and/or for more information about the University of Iowa Libraries and community, please see http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/about/employment/