The University of Southern California (USC) Norris Medical Library seeks an innovative, energetic and service oriented individual to provide outstanding leadership for the library’s Division of Collection Resources.
The Norris Medical Library is an academic research library serving the Schools and Departments of Medicine, Pharmacy, Occupational Science and Biokinesiology/Physical Therapy. The library is strongly user-focused and committed to providing faculty, students, and staff access to a wide variety of electronic information resources, including books, journals, bioinformatics tools, databases, evidence-based resources and resources available via personal digital assistants. The library staff of 39 FTE includes 13 librarians. For additional information, see the library’s web pages www.usc.edu/nml.
· Print book and journal collection development. Select appropriate books and journals for purchase; oversee approval plans; solicit and respond to faculty input; weed older materials; maintain awareness of current HSC programs and research priorities; curate historical collections.
· Electronic book and journal collection development. Select appropriate electronic books and journals for purchase; Collaborate with Head, Metadata and Content Management in negotiating licenses for new electronic resources, and in monitoring their use.
· Financial oversight. Prepare and monitor collection budget of $2.8 million for print and electronic book, journal, and database purchases.
· Oversight of divisional operations. Work with Head Metadata and Content Management to supervise staff, adjust work assignments, plan special projects, and plan and implement Technical Services automated systems.
· ILS system administration. Supervise system use by library staff; plan and manage system upgrades; modify system parameters as needed; respond to staff requests for assistance; produce management reports.
· Professional involvement. Assume leadership positions in local and national library organizations and contribute to publications and conferences.
· Serve on the senior management team assisting the director in library planning, management and innovation.
· Prepare administrative and statistical reports for the director.
QUALIFICATIONS MLS from an ALA-accredited library school and a minimum of five years experience in an academic health sciences library. Strong oral and written skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with culturally diverse library users and adult learners. Demonstrated creativity and initiative. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Intellectually curious and comfortable with change.
SALARY/STATUS Beginning salary between $58,000 - $80,000 depending on experience, plus an additional administrative stipend. This position is in a continuing-appointment track, the USC librarian’s equivalent to tenure.
BENEFITS 37½ hour week; 22 days vacation; paid sick leave; disability plan; retirement plan (TIAA/CREF and other options); tuition assistance; paid medical, dental and life insurance; credit union; group auto and homeowner's insurance available.
Send resume or direct inquiries to: Daniel Grande
Administrative Office, Room 105
Norris Medical Library
University of Southern California
2003 Zonal Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90089-9130
Tel: (323) 442‑1130, Fax: (323) 442‑2937