The Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for the position of Special Collections Librarian. The Special Collections Librarian curates and promotes the special collections of the Robert E. and Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections, which includes rare books, the documentary photo archive, and other artifacts. The Ohio University Libraries seeks a candidate committed to collaboration and to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
The Special Collections Librarian will:
* Engage in activities related to collection development and management, organization, preservation, access, and the preparation of exhibits
* Build relationships and collaborations with a range of partners, including undergraduate and graduate students, subject liaison librarians and library staff, University staff, and teaching faculty, in order to effectively deliver reference services, research assistance, and information literacy instruction
* Advance the digital future, assess the use and impact, and engage in strategic planning for the expanded role of special collections materials in curricular teaching, learning, and research
* Integrate special collection materials into the University's teaching, learning and research
* Serve as the primary content editor for the Mahn Center's web presence
* Participate in the general activities of the Mahn Center and the department by serving on departmental, library and/or University committees, staffing the reference desk, and on other projects as assigned
* Engage in regular professional development and engagement activities in order to bring best practices and innovative approaches to the Ohio University Libraries
* ALA-accredited Master's degree in library/information science
* Experience in a special collections, archives, or cultural heritage setting
* Experience in an academic library
* Demonstrated commitment to assessment and data-informed decision making processes
* Superior communication, writing, organizational, time management, interpersonal and teamwork skills
* Public services and outreach experience
* Web content management experience
* Digital project experience
* Successful experience with rare books and/or image collections
* At least one year professional (post-M.L.S.) experience in an academic library special collections/archives setting
The Ohio University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, and OhioLINK. The Libraries seek to be a dynamic gateway for the discovery, exchange, and creation of knowledge. The Robert E. and Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections is central to this vision. The Mahn Center is the principle repository for rare materials that support the education, research, and creative mission of Ohio University. The Center's rare book and special collections are broad in scope, and include collections on 19th and 20th century authors, early science, Ohioana, imprints from the hand press period, incunabula, broadsides, ephemera, and artifacts.
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity). The main campus of Ohio University is located in Athens, Ohio, in the scenic foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, 75 miles southeast of Columbus, the state capital. Ohio University offers a student-centered learning experience to 21,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus, 10,000 students on the University's five regional campuses, and 4,000 e-learning students. The University advances a diverse, dynamic, and collegial atmosphere for students, faculty, and staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package including 22 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and a State of Ohio employee retirement or an alternative retirement package.
Review of applications begins June 3, 2013; however applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. For full consideration, apply by June 16. Position is available immediately. Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/5892
Ohio University is committed to the diversity of faculty, staff and students. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of OHIO's campus are especially encouraged to apply.