Baltimore County Public Library is dedicated to providing innovative and quality services to our diverse communities. We do this by creating welcoming spaces, offering excellent resources, promoting early childhood literacy and encouraging a lifelong love of reading. We circulate over 10.5 million items and exceed 957,000 PC uses annually. We are currently seeking a Librarian Manager II to join our staff of talented professionals.
• Under the general direction of the Assistant Director for Public Services, manages the day-to-day operations of a branch including information, circulation, and programming services. May also be responsible for managing a satellite branch.
• Serves as the branch leader in communicating changes in library service and obtaining staff and customer buy-in.
• Fosters and maintains good relations with staff, customers, administration and the community.
• Responsible for supervising, training, and evaluating the work performance of staff and encouraging their professional development.
• Applies leadership skills in directing and administering library services to all ages in a diverse community.
• Engages in direct public service and develops and maintains a thorough understanding of BCPL rules and policies and ensures their appropriate application to customer service transactions.
• Uses management and technology skills to improve efficiency and ensure excellent customer service.
• Enforces library rules and policies and handles security issues and emergency situations as necessary.
• Oversees building concerns and makes recommendations for upgrades and renovations.
• Actively participates on system-wide committees and promotes the library in the community.
• MLS from an ALA accredited school.
• Comprehensive knowledge of public library operations acquired through eight years of progressively responsible work experience in a public library and three years of supervisory experience.
• A commitment to excellent customer service and the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Experience using various technologies including Polaris, online databases, E-books, and Microsoft applications.
• Physical ability to stand at a public service desk for lengthy periods of time, push carts and shelve materials. Physical ability to bend, lift up to 25 lbs. and push/pull a wheeled cart weighing up to 100 lbs.
• Ability to establish and maintain respectful relationships with customers, co-workers and community groups.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and emergencies in a fast paced environment.
• Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrates flexibility, initiative and creativity.
• Willingness and ability to travel throughout the system, work a variety of schedules that include evenings and weekends and accept system-wide transfers.
• Post offer drug screening and physical.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes: four weeks of vacation, sick and personal leave, subsidized health care coverage, pension eligibility, and other related benefits. Annualized Salary Range: $72,323 - $96,877; commensurate with experience.
Go to http://www.bcpl.jobs/#apply and follow the directions indicated. Email your application, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com. Only complete documents sent by email will be accepted. Clearly indicate the title: Librarian Manager II on your application and in the subject line of your email.
Applications must be received no later than May 17, 2013.
Vacancy #: 2013-089