OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. is a nonprofit, membership, computer library service and research organization dedicated to the public purposes of furthering access to the world's information and reducing information costs. Tens of thousands of libraries around the world use OCLC services to locate, acquire, catalog, lend and preserve library materials. We are currently seeking candidates for a Sr. Support Analyst position at our Corporate Headquarters in Dublin (Columbus), Ohio.
Applies experience and technical knowledge in order to provide expert and second level support to the CSD team and the OCLC user community for OCLC's online systems, distributed systems, micro-software, and access methods using both proven and creative solutions.
- Answer incoming support requests and second level referrals in a blended support environment, and place outgoing proactive calls, resolving or coordinating resolution for all requests presented.
- Assist and mentor less experienced staff in a wide range of support topics. Assist in evaluating the technical expertise of CSD staff, identify individual or group skill gaps, and provide training in order to improve our ability to provide consistent, efficient solutions for users.
- Participate in new product implementation activities to help ensure CSD support readiness and better product quality/usability. This includes independent technical, functional and quality testing, procuring or developing new facilities or systems needed for support, reviewing user documentation, creating support documentation, developing/executing staff training curriculum.
- Discover, research, test, and document new, valuable support information for the CSD Knowledge Base in order to ensure that answers and solutions are consistent, accurate, and more readily available to users and Regional Networks. Position has direct responsibility for KB content control.
- Assist the corporation in understanding customer responses to specific product offerings and desires for product enhancements, so that OCLC can continue to improve the functionality and quality of its products/services.
- Act as a liaison with other sections, departments, divisions, or organizations, so that OCLC users can rely on CSD to coordinate support efforts on their behalf as needed to provide solutions and answers.
- Position requires a Bachelor of Science degree in a business or computer based discipline, or an equivalent academic/work experience combination
- 3+ years experience or equivalent expertise providing technical and functional troubleshooting/support for OCLC’s online services, micro-software, distributed systems, and telecommunications access methods
- Ability to install and configure OCLC’s desktop and server software products for use with any supported operating system and telecommunications environment, including the ability to write, debug, and install software for accessing and operating those products and services (e.g., macro and scripting languages.)
- Excellent knowledge of third party software and environments, especially MS-Windows and communications software
- Excellent knowledge of Z39.50 clients, and connectivity via IP recognition or scripting software.
- Experience resolving problems operating OCLC products with third party local systems, local area networks, firewall/ proxy servers, and other Internet and Web issues.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle high stress situations effectively with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to troubleshoot and support telecommunications facilities with users and vendors, including analog and digital lines, asynchronous modems, digital service units, and Internet protocol, connectivity and tools.
- Working knowledge of personal computer and network hardware such as: interrupt structures, memory management techniques, bus technologies, servers, SLIP connections, LAN cabling, terminal servers, communications ports and protocols; including the ability to install, configure, operate, diagnose, and oversee the repair of desktop and communications hardware.
- Spanish / Portuguese written and verbal skills.
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems.
- Experience working as a system librarian or in an equivalent role and/or experience operating or supporting an ILS system considered a strong plus.