The Head of Digital Curation Services establishes priorities, manages projects, and coordinate cross-departmental workflows. Other responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement metadata specifications for digital projects, including creating application profiles, crosswalking, and ensuring consistency of metadata strategies across a wide variety of projects and processes that rely on metadata.
- Coordinate administrative, technical, and preservation metadata creation among a variety of library staff and providing metadata guidance and training as needed.
- Supervise one full time Digital Repository Librarian and one full-time Digital Archivist.
- Work with the Libraries’ decentralized digital production environment, facilitates communication between staff across the Libraries and other departments on campus working on digital projects, ensuring stakeholders remain informed and engaged.
- Represent activities and needs in the Libraries’ strategic planning and ensure that digital curation issues are reflected in broader organizational policies and procedures.
- Understand emerging trends in digital collection creation and management and for developing solutions that meet the needs of users in an academic research environment in collaboration with other UT Libraries units.
- Attend and present at local, state, regional, and national meetings and/or authors journal or book chapters.
- Provide contributions to librarianship or fields of scholarly endeavor, through professional activity.
Required Qualifications: A graduate library degree from an ALA-accredited school; minimum 3 years of experience working with and managing digital collections. Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience. Experience with digital library development software, such as Fedora Commons or DSpace. In-depth understanding of metadata standards used in digital preservation and access (e.g. MODS, METS, VRA Core, CCO, Dublin Core, RDA, etc.) and demonstrated proficiency with XML, crosswalking, and building application profiles. Experience with digital preservation and access technologies, standards, and workflows; ability to work with staff who are doing software development, programming, and systems administration. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of individuals and groups; demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects; experience working effectively across the organization to achieve multiple strategic objectives; excellent conceptual, analytic, and organizational skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; comfort working in a decentralized production environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience managing digital collections with Fedora Commons. Experience working with faculty. Knowledge and experience with linked data standards, creation, and manipulation.
Salary and Benefits: $4,396 negotiable depending on qualifications. No state or local income tax. Standard state benefits package including annual vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, retirement plans, and health insurance options (comprehensive major medical, dental, vision, life, and disability). Deferred compensation and tax sheltered annuity programs also available.
Recruiting Schedule: All interested candidates must complete an online application by going to: http://www.utexas.edu/hr/prospective/apply/process.html . Please follow all instructions given. When applying, refer to job posting # 13-10-07-01-0084. An e-mail confirmation will be sent to those who apply online along with a set of job-related questions that candidates will be asked to return in order for their application materials to be complete.
To receive full consideration, complete application materials are due by November 22, 2013. For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact: Library Human Resources: lib-HR@lib.utexas.edu .
The University of Texas Libraries has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications and nominations from traditionally underrepresented groups. Early career applicants are encouraged to apply.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer