The Dean of Library and Information Services is charged with embracing the vision of an urban joint use community center and University hub and providing the leadership to support this vision. The Dean will work closely and collaboratively with stakeholders to review, update, and implement a sustainable vision for this type of library environment. Because of the diversity of the library’s primary constituents, the individual who holds this position should be culturally competent and sensitive to the needs of this population.
Specific responsibilities of the position include strategic planning, program evaluation and development, university accreditation, community outreach, fund raising, recruitment and selection of faculty and staff, building and fostering collaborative relationships, and managing the finances and budget of library and information services. The dean is directly responsible for the evaluation of library faculty based on their professional development plans and carries out all the activities related to promotion and tenure. The dean is the chief administrative officer for library services and as such he/she is responsible for the planning, organization, development, implementation, assessment, and direction of all aspects of library services including expanding electronic services and services at other Metro State locations.
The dean provides vision for the development of resources and services that meet the scholarly and intellectual needs of the university community and works closely with other university officers to advance the overall mission/vision of the university. Metropolitan State University's library is co-located with the Dayton’s Bluff branch of the St. Paul Public Library. This is a unique partnership which offers an array of opportunities for collaboration.
- Priority given to an earned terminal degree in library and information science (MLS) Consideration will be given for equivalent academic qualifications.
- 10 years of professional experience working in a library.
- Experience managing a library or components of a library in a complex environment.
- Experience as a supervisor of at least 5 professional staff.
- Excellent skills in the following areas:
- Communications including writing, speaking and listening.
- Intercultural communication.
- Personnel management.
- Organization and planning.
- Problem solving.
- Trust building that promotes an inclusive and consultative environment.
- Knowledge and demonstrated abilities in departmental leadership and administration in a university library setting.
- As the chief budget and planning officer, knowledge and demonstrated abilities in budget development and financial administration.
- Collaboration skills that allow for working closely with a team in setting goals and achieving them.
- Ability to make the most efficient and effective use of resources in the furtherance of departmental and university goals.
- Ability to represent and advocate for the special role of the library in a university setting.
- Demonstrated skill in working collaboratively with individuals, groups, departments and other institutions.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the area of outreach and community engagement.
- Ability to promote and apply technology and innovation in a dynamic/changing environment.
- Evidence of commitment to professional growth and development for faculty, staff, and self.
- Ability to assume significant leadership roles on campus and in the professional community.
- Ability to effectively relate to and serve diverse constituencies.`
- Ability to work with multiple constituencies to create, articulate, and sustain a vision for Library and Information Services.
- Experience as an academic and/or reference librarian.
- Experience managing a library.
Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, serves approximately 11,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with approximately 31% of our students coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
Employment for this position is covered by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Personnel Plan for Administrators:http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/Cabinet_Executive_Se/documents/AdminPlanNonLeg.pdf
Application: To apply, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/metrostatemn/default.cfm
Applications must be received by Noon on Closing Date: Friday, October 18, 2013.
Qualified applicants are required to attach the following documents to their online application:
- Cover letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position.
- Current curriculum vita or resume.
- Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
- Transcripts - Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date, your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
If you have other questions related to this job announcement, please contact Human Resources, Search & Selection Specialist, Jody (Mary) Anderson at 651.793.1811. TTY users call 651.772.7687.
Notice: In accordance with the MnSCU Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.