University of California, BerkeleyReference & Outreach Librarian
Kresge Engineering LibraryAssistant Librarian II - Associate Librarian III
$43,560 - $52,860 depending upon qualifications
The Kresge Engineering Library at the University of California, Berkeley seeks an energetic, creative, and service-oriented librarian to develop and implement services and collections in support of the information needs of the campus engineering community and to join an innovative and collaborative staff within the science and engineering libraries.
The Reference and Outreach Librarian will have lead responsibility for the Engineering Library’s reference and public services, including circulation and document delivery. This Librarian will coordinate and provide reference services, work in partnership with colleagues to develop new services, and select online and print materials for the reference collection. This librarian will also participate in existing Library instructional activities and help develop new ones using emerging technologies. The Reference and Outreach Librarian is responsible for collection development in one or more engineering disciplines and serves as faculty liaison for those departments. The Reference and Outreach Librarian has oversight responsibility for circulation services, including the supervision of 1 FTE. This Librarian will also contribute to web content development and other special projects. He or she will develop and coordinate library marketing and outreach materials such as newsletters, displays and blog postings. This Librarian adapts and develops technologically innovative services to meet the information needs of the campus engineering community, and contributes to the joint services of the science and engineering libraries on campus. UCB librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning and governance, to be able to work comfortably in a shared decision-making environment, and to be active professionally.
Required - MLS from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent.
- Enthusiastic commitment to the provision of excellent public services to a diverse user community
- Demonstrated understanding of information needs of engineers/scientists and a working knowledge of information technologies and their application to enhance user services.
- Experience with relevant print and electronic reference sources; well-developed computer and online searching skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching and developing user-oriented documentation.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Initiative, flexibility and the ability to creatively adapt in an evolving organizational environment.
- Candidate must have a strong commitment to excellence in service and a demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Academic background in engineering /science, or public service experience in a research library serving users in the engineering or science disciplines
- Demonstrated successful experience with user education and collection development.
- Experience with integrating new technologies into the delivery of information services.
DEADLINE: Consideration will by given to applications received by April 7, 2008.
The Library at the University of California, Berkeley is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make positive and imaginative contributions in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity. Professional librarians at UC are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council – American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). They are entitled to appropriate professional leave, two days per month of vacation leave, one day per month of sick leave, and all other benefits granted to non-faculty academic personnel. UC has an excellent retirement system and sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits. Relocation assistance is provided.
Applicants should apply in writing, including with their letter a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of their education and relevant experience, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position. Send applications to:
Academic Personnel Specialist
Library Human Resources Department
110 The Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Or FAX to: 510-642-8675
Or EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer