Contra Costa County Library, California
$4518 - $5770 per month
(plus a generous benefits package)
The Contra Costa County Library has a reputation as a Library that values and emphasizes training and staff development, and supports organizational change through positive involvement of staff as peer trainers. The successful candidate in the position of Library Specialist—Training and Staff Development (20 hours/week) will act as a specialist in training and staff development for new hires and continuing staff of the Contra Costa County Library, on all levels of the organization, developing and maintaining responsive training programs, including developing the training skills of community library staff as peer trainers and as trainers for the public in the use of library resources. This position may supervise subordinate staff.
To arrange for an informational interview at the PLA Conference, call (925) 864-7404 between March 25-29, 2008.
Duties associated with this responsibility include, but are not limited to:
· Coordinates training activities and staff development planning that promotes the library’s strategic initiatives in all areas of public service, and manages deployment of substitute staff.
· Develops and maintains training programs that support new and continuing staff to implement strategic service models.
· Prepares presentations, lesson plans, and support materials to be used in training new and continuing staff, and for community library staff to use in training the public.
· Leads staff groups in developing, organizing, and coordinating staff and public training programs responsive to changing needs, and fosters teamwork and shared responsibility for high quality training of new hires.
· Assists community library staff to identify, develop, and maintain training programs for their communities as identified in the strategic plan.
· Trains community library managers and staff to be effective peer trainers.
· Prepares and delivers presentations about Contra Costa County Library training and staff development opportunities in professional settings that would encourage the recruitment of excellent candidates.
· Prepares and presents workshops for job seekers in targeted populations to increase candidate levels for difficult-to-fill library positions, such as Spanish-speaking bilingual positions, and assists the Library in reaching Affirmative Action goals.
· Evaluates and keeps documentation of training outcomes and recommends new initiatives for staff development priorities individually and collectively.
Requires a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Requires possession of a graduate degree from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Library Association, and two (2) years of full-time or its equivalent professional library experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application period is OPEN UNTIL FILLED. Applicants are encouraged to apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/depart/hr, or, a completed Contra Costa County employment application and supplemental questionnaire must be received. Resumes may not be substituted for the official application or supplemental questionnaire. Incomplete applications or applications received without a supplemental questionnaire will be disqualified. For more information contact Janet Hildebrand, Human Resources Manager, Contra Costa County Library, (925) 646-6423, firstname.lastname@example.org