With a new University President and initiatives within and outside the Library, it is an exciting time to be at Wesleyan University! Wesleyan is a highly selective liberal arts university located in Middletown, Connecticut, a town of 47,000 on the Connecticut River just south of Hartford. Middletown is a two-hour drive from New York, Boston, and the Berkshires.
Access Service Coordinator
Reporting to the Head of Access Services, this position is responsible for assisting in the management of units in the Access Services Department - Olin Circulation, Interlibrary Loan, and Olin Reserves- with specific responsibility for managing course reserves at Olin Library in both physical and electronic formats. This position will supervise the Access Services Reserve Assistant and a work force of 25-30 reserve students.
- Collaborate with the Head of Access Services, other librarians and staff to plan, implement and assess library projects that involve units in the department.
- Propose, implement, evaluate and revise Access Services procedures and workflow; use wikis, blogs, or other appropriate applications for documenting departmental policies/procedures.
- Keep abreast of current and emerging technologies for the Olin Reserve and other Access Services functions; provide recommendations for incorporating new technologies to improve library services.
- Serve as the primary lead for the systems and applications used by the Reserve/E-Reserve department, including Docutek E-Reserves, and Voyager's reserve circulation module; develop and maintain interfaces between Access Services systems to streamline workflow and limit duplicate manual data entry.
- Supervise Access Services units - Olin Circulation, Olin Reserves and Interlibrary Loan -- in the absence of the Head of Access Services.
- Manage, organize and maintain a circulating collection of approximately 6,000 physical items and 2,000 electronic readings per semester. Maintain the circulation and fine system for Olin Reserve material.
- Collaborate with faculty to clarify and negotiate their reserve requests in accordance with curricular needs, budget limitations and copyright law. Evaluate the fair use status of reserve requests and seek copyright permissions when needed. Troubleshoot problems with reserve access.
- Coordinate reserve processes/procedures with reserve staff in the Art, Music, and Science libraries.
- Serve on library and University committees as appropriate.
- Supervise Access Services Reserve Assistant
- Supervise a work force of 25-30 reserve students: interview, hire and train.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience. Minimum of two years work experience utilizing a variety of computer applications, with proven ability to quickly learn how to use specialized software/hardware. One year of previous supervisory experience. Demonstrated experience in an online library environment. Excellent communication skills and customer service orientation. Intermediate to expert knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel & Access). Working knowledge of web technology and web editing. Demonstrated aptitude and accuracy for detailed work,
ability to work under pressure and with constant interruptions. Physically able to push a filled standard book truck of approximately 400 lbs and repeatedly reach high and low in the stacks to retrieve/shelve material.
Previous experience using the circulation and cataloging clients of an online library system. Experience using electronic reserve management systems. Experience searching library related databases. Previous experience in an academic library.
Applications received by March 14, 2008 will be given first consideration. Please apply to Careers@ Wesleyan website: http://careers.wesleyan.edu