The University of Akron invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean, University Libraries (UL). The University seeks an active, visible leader with a clear vision of the role of the library in meeting the needs of 21st century students and faculty, and who is able to communicate clearly and compellingly the value that the libraries provide to the academic experience.
The successful candidate will have a clear understanding about how to create, preserve, and deliver library content to a diverse audience of students, faculty, and staff and will have a vision and character to inspire continued and inclusive excellence.
The dean will work closely with faculty to support teaching and learning by developing new services to enhance the student experience and support the entire research lifecycle.
The dean is expected to promote professional development of faculty and staff and work with faculty tenure and promotion in a collective bargaining environment.
The UL dean reports to the VP and Provost/Chief Operating Office, serves on the University’s leadership team, and is centrally involved in realizing an ambitious vision for the University’s future Vision 2020 and for carrying out the mission of the University Libraries Strategic Plan.
About The University of Akron:
The University of Akron offers more than 300 associate, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorate and law degree programs – with accreditations by 35 professional agencies. With nearly 30,000 students and $65 million in research expenditures, UA is among the nation's strongest public universities focused on innovation, entrepreneurship, and investment in community and economic growth. Programs are targeted to diverse groups of learners, including full-time, part-time and on-line students, veterans, and adults returning to the classroom. The distinctive Akron Experience enhances post-graduate success through internships and co-ops, academic research (both undergraduate and graduate), study abroad, on-campus student employment, and service projects.
The University Libraries provides state-of-the-art access to broad and diverse scholarly resources and innovative technologies to empower users to evaluate their information needs, identify and access reliable sources, and successfully transform information into knowledge. The UL dean has administrative responsibility for three facilities—Bierce Library, the Science and Technology Library, and Archival Services—and works productively with other campus information providers, including Wayne College, the Law Library, the Center for the History of Psychology, the University Press, and Learning Technologies & Scholar/Learner Services. The University of Akron is a founding member of OhioLINK, and the dean is expected to take a leadership role in setting a dynamic direction for the consortium while fostering other consortial relationships.
The dean will maintain the trajectory of relevance and responsiveness that began with the recently established learning commons: spaces have been renovated and services have been enhanced to better support users in knowledge discovery and knowledge creation. The successful candidate should have an understanding of the role of academic libraries as place, because he or she will lead the extensive renovation of Bierce Library in the next phase of the University’s Landscape for Learning initiative
- An ALA accredited MLS degree or other appropriate academic preparation and a record of distinguished scholarly and professional achievement qualifying the applicant for tenure at the rank of full professor; advanced degree preferred;
- At least ten years of experience within research or university libraries, including five or more of administrative experience in a supervisory role; strategic leadership experience preferred;
- Proven managerial ability in a complex organizational setting, including the efficient and creative management of human, fiscal, and physical resources, and the continued promotion of effective communication within the organization;
- The public presence to be an effective spokesperson for the libraries and the ability to attract philanthropic support;
- A capacity for developing and sustaining relationships with administrators, deans, faculty, staff, and students is essential, as is the ability to represent the University effectively for purposes of outreach, development, and inter-institutional cooperation;
- An understanding of scholarly research and current trends in scholarly publication and a demonstrated ability to envision and realize the library’s role in research and publication.
It is anticipated that the Dean will assume office no later than July 1, 2013. The position is open until filled.
Applicants should list at least three references on their application.
For complete details and to apply please visit:www.uakron.edu/jobs. Job ID#7612. The University of Akron is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and to the principles of affirmative action in accordance with state and federal laws.