IUPUI University Library has an opening for a full-time, tenure track Scholarly Communications Librarian, reporting to the Digital Scholarship Team Leader. Minimum salary is $42,000 with benefits including 22 vacation days, health/dental insurance options, and retirement contributions to either TIAA-CREF or Fidelity plans. Final position offer is contingent upon the continued availability of funding. The anticipated start date is January 2013.
Working in a team-oriented environment, the Scholarly Communications Librarian will play an important role in an organization that is committed to re-conceiving the academic library as a key partner in new modes of scholarly communication. The Librarian will contribute to the evolution of scholarly publishing practices within the academy by leading digital publishing services at the Library; developing and providing education opportunities for IUPUI librarians, faculty, administration, staff, and students regarding the Library’s digital publishing services; and providing guidance and advocacy on copyright issues, fair use, privacy rights, and open access. Additionally, the successful candidate will assume subject liaison responsibilities for the IUPUI School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
The Scholarly Communications Librarian will be responsible for:
- Leading the Library’s e-journal publishing and/or institutional repository initiatives
- Creating digital publishing and copyright information resources and workshops for librarians, faculty, staff, and students at IUPUI
- Serving as an advocate for new forms and practices of scholarly communications on campus and in the broader academic community
- Assessing faculty and student scholarly communication needs and making recommendations to the Library for providing support
- Furthering the development of the Library's role in scholarly communications across IUPUI, in areas including, but not limited to: open access, authors' rights, and new forms of information dissemination
As a member of the Library’s Teaching, Learning, and Research unit, the liaison to the School of Public and Environmental Affairs will be responsible for:
- Selecting print and electronic information resources that support the School’s teaching and scholarship
- Providing information literacy and skills instruction
- Providing research consultations upon request
- Supporting transformation of scholarly output into sustainable communication models and formats
- Participating in the provision of reference services
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Earned Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited Library/Information Science program
- Experience with digital publishing tools such as: Dspace, OJS, Fedora, Islandora, ContentDM, Drupal, WordPress, bepress, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of scholarly communication issues within higher education
- Demonstrated service commitment
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a collaborative work environment
- Experience collaborating with faculty and other campus stakeholders
- Experience with collection development and information literacy instruction
- Understanding of regulatory issues associated with intellectual property and copyright in an academic setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Educational background in relevant field
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is an urban research and academic health science university with 20 schools and academic units. Located in downtown Indianapolis, a diverse and affordable mid-sized city, IUPUI enrolls more than 30,000 students. The vision of the IUPUI University Library is to be the innovative leader among urban university libraries. It has a staff of approximately 80 and a budget in excess of $9.5 million.
Please forward letter of application, resume, and contact information for four references (include name, title, address, telephone number, and email address) electronically to Teresa McCurry at the following email address: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until September 3, 2012. IUPUI University Library is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in its students, faculty and staff.