The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, a research unit of The New York Public Library, seeks an innovative experienced Assistant Director to lead the Public Affairs Department and assist the Executive Director in:
- Enhancing the Center's ability to serve as an educational resource for the community at large;
- Increasing the Center's attendance and visibility through more contemporary/relevant programming; and
- Reimagining the Schomburg brand, both locally and nationally.
The Schomburg Center is recognized as one of the leading institutions of its kind in the world. For over 80 years the Center has collected, preserved, and provided access to materials documenting black life, and promoted the study and interpretation of the history and culture of peoples of African descent. It also sponsors programs and events that illuminate and illustrate the richness of black history and culture.
The Public Affairs Unit is the Schomburg Center’s hub for all outreach and interpretive resources, programs and materials. Serving as the main source of information on the Schomburg’s services for the public, the Public Affairs unit has four principal audiences or stakeholders: researchers, educators, funders and the individuals or institutions interested in African-American, African and African Diasporan history and culture.
The Assistant Director for Public Affairs will:
- Supervise and provide leadership for the staff of Public Affairs.
- Work with the Public Affairs team to help develop and support our virtual presence, digitization initiatives, and social media outreach.
- Manage the development of innovative communications and programmatic strategies and activities that highlight and raise the profile of the Center’s resources and exhibitions and increase/broaden the Center’s tour and visitor audiences.
- Serve as a member of the Schomburg’s senior management team.
To view the full job description and apply for this opportunity, please click on the following link: NYPL-Schomburg Center Assistant Director.
The New York Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.