The William H. Hannon Library at Loyola Marymount University seeks an energetic, user-oriented public services librarian to serve as Emerging Technologies Librarian. This individual will provide leadership and expertise in designing, developing and supporting the library’s online presence. The successful candidate must be an innovative and creative individual who enjoys exploring new technologies and has the ability to create and suggest useful applications in an information environment. The librarian is primarily responsible for identifying, evaluating, implementing and teaching the use of new technologies to improve information access and student learning. Additionally, this librarian works on the Information Desk, teaches library instruction classes, serves on the library Web Team, and serves as liaison to one or more university departments. The Emerging Technologies Librarian reports to the Head of Reference and Instruction.
Loyola Marymount, founded in 1911, is a comprehensive university in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education. Located on the west side of Los Angeles overlooking the Pacific Ocean, LMU is one of the nation’s 28 Jesuit colleges and universities and five Marymount institutions. It serves 5,950 undergraduates and nearly 2,000 graduate students in the Colleges/Schools of Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, Business Administration, Communication and Fine Arts, Film and Television, and Education. The library seeks professionally outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity institution actively working to promote an intercultural learning community. The library’s staff reflects the diversity of LMU’s student body and the greater Los Angeles area.
Opened in 2009, the William H. Hannon Library offers its users a technologically advanced environment coupled with a commitment to reference, outreach, and innovation. LMU librarians are expected to provide service to the library, the university and the profession. They are also expected to pursue professional development opportunities.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited graduate program
- Familiarity with current trends and emerging technologies in libraries and the web
- Demonstrated aptitude in the use of technology, technology training and documentation
- Knowledge of current trends in academic libraries and educational technologies
- Knowledge of library instruction/information literacy and collection development practices in academic libraries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and initiative; strong user-service orientation; ability to work cooperatively in a team environment; excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in an academic library, including reference, instruction, and/or collection development
- Educational design experience
- Experience with Blackboard learning management system or equivalent
The position will be available on July 1, 2012. Deliberations on the pool of candidates will begin as applications are received.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- letter of application
- a curriculum vitae or resume
- a list of three professional references (names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers).
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Susan Gardner Archambault, Head of Reference & Instructional Services
William H. Hannon Library
Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive, MS 8200
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659