The Contra Costa County Library is recruiting to fill one vacant 32 hour Community Library Manager position in Oakley, California.
Contra Costa County operates over 26 community libraries within a 750 square mile area and serves close to 1 million urban, suburban and rural customers with an annual circulation exceeding 7.4 million.
Community Library Managers are responsible for day-to-day administration and operation of a full service community library. Responsibilities include applying individual judgment and influence to manage human, financial and physical resources in a community library and supervise the activities of professional, technical and/or clerical level positions involved in library support and service activities; Plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures; collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services; assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies and other duties as assigned.
The Eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.
· Plan, organize and manage the activities of a community library ; ensure the efficient and effective delivery of high quality library services to the general public
· Plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures that reflect the County Library's mission and services
· Act autonomously to develop and maintain relationships with City leaders, community organizations, local businesses, schools, service clubs and "Friends of the Library" organizations, and make presentations to these organizations.
· Collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services
· Plan and prepare the community library's budgetary needs; develop budget justification for staffing, service and materials; monitor and reconcile financial resources for county and city, grants, and donations from community organizations, businesses and library friends/foundation organizations
· Manage professional level librarians, technical and/or clerical staff; exercise independent judgment in the selection, training and evaluation of staff; make assignments and counsel employees on work-related issues and take disciplinary action as necessary in accordance with County and department guidelines and direction, regulations or applicable MOU
· Manage task forces in the development of County Library policies and procedures, committee projects or special assignments and make recommendations; interpret library policies and procedures to staff and the public
· Assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies to support such needs within the County Library and the community
· Manage building security and maintenance issues which may include surrounding grounds; evaluate architectural drawings to assess new library interior designs, layouts, and circulation needs, and make recommendations
· Anticipate and recommend computer technology needs and planning, including internet access and software, and web based research services
· Manage acquisition and collection development, including any specialized collections; participate in centralized collection development to ensure collection materials meet the community's needs
Education: Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent curriculum.
Experience: Two (2) years of full-time equivalent professional/supervisory library experience.
Three (3) years full-time equivalent experience working in a library, which may include two (2) years as support staff, technician or paraprofessional, and at least one (1) year at a professional/supervisory level.
All candidates are encouraged to review a detailed job description available at www.cccounty.us and apply only if they clearly meet the Minimum Qualifications as defined above.
1. Application Filing: Applicants are encouraged to apply on-line at Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources, or, a completed Contra Costa County application and Supplemental Questionnaire must be received or postmarked by the closing date/time listed above. Resumes may not be substituted for the official County application. An application may be obtained by visiting our office at 651 Pine St., 2nd floor, Martinez, CA 94553, or the County Application can be received by visiting our website at the web link listed above. To view the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position, please visit our website to see the detailed job description.
2. Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Oral Interview: An oral interview will be conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board in Martinez, Ca. The Board will evaluate candidates in job-related areas. Candidates must receive a rating of at least 70 from a majority of the Board members to be ranked on the employment list. (Weighted 100%)
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.