Librarian for Romance Languages
The University of Virginia Library seeks a Librarian for Romance Languages. The University of Virginia Library is a place of infinite possibility! We are looking for high energy, innovative professionals with integrity. Reporting to the Director of Humanities and Social Sciences Services, this position will serve two key roles within the library. First, it will fill the need for a subject specialist for Romance languages, particularly for Spanish, Italian & Portuguese. The librarian will be charged with developing library collections in these areas, providing specialized library services, and serving the needs of the university's highly ranked academic department. The librarian will also share duties for French, particularly in the areas of library instruction, outreach and research assistance. Secondly, this position will help redefine the subject librarian role within Humanities and Social Sciences Services by assisting the department with a reconsideration of subject librarian services and the modeling of new roles for liaison librarians, including engagement with developments in digital scholarship and scholarly communication. Exact roles and duties will be determined in consultation with the Director and managers of the Humanities and Social Sciences Services department.
- Extensive academic grounding in a field of language and literature, such as a completed Master's Degree, with some Ph.D.-level work highly desirable.
- Ability to read and speak Spanish fluently.
- Knowledge of Italian, Portuguese and French and some ability to communicate in those languages is highly desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of the tools of library research, achieved through either 2 years work experience in a library, a completed MLS degree, or through extensive background as a user of library resources and services.
- Familiarity with new modes of scholarship and teaching/learning, including the tools of digital scholarship.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a strong service orientation, and an ability to work with a wide range of individuals.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development and enthusiasm for the possibilities offered by academic librarianship as a profession.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive depending on qualifications. This position has general faculty status with excellent benefits, including 22 days of vacation and TIAA/CREF and other retirement plans.
To Apply: Review of applications will begin on 7/17/2011 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website at https://jobs.virginia.edu/ Search by posting number 0607938, complete application, and attach cover letter and resume, with contact information for three current, professional references. For assistance with this process contact Al Sapienza, Director of Organizational Development at (434) 243-8636.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and nominations from members of underrepresented groups.