The McIntyre Library at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire has a probationary tenure track faculty vacancy available at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor or Professor to serve as Reference / Instruction Librarian – Government Publications with an anticipated start date of spring 2009. This is a 12-month, part-time (0.75 FTE) position reporting to the Director of Libraries.
McIntyre Library has a staff of 12.50 FTE library faculty, and 17 FTE classified staff. The Library maintains a very active information literacy program, provides access to a wide range of digital resources, is a selective state and federal document depository, and includes a regional historical research center and university archives. McIntyre Library has a collection of almost 600,000 titles, 2 million volumes, and 17,000 online and print periodical subscriptions; and works closely with other UW System libraries in keeping with the “One System, One Library” approach to the delivery of collections and services.
This position manages and promotes the library’s collections and information technology to maximize their positive impact on teaching, learning, and research in the UW-Eau Claire community. Additionally, this position oversees the library’s Government Publications Collections.
Government Publications Duties
· Serves as the designated depository coordinator in compliance with the recommendations of the Federal Depository Library Program and the Wisconsin State Depository Program.
· Oversees collection development, access, organization and housing of the government collections, assuring ready access to government information, regardless of format.
· Increase awareness of and promote the use of federal and state documents within the library and to the University community
· Teaches library instruction/information literacy session, including specialized instruction for government information resource
· Serves as a liaison to assigned departments by consulting and collaborating with students and faculty to meet their information and instructional needs.
· Collaborates with other library faculty in planning, promoting and assessing information literacy initiatives.
· Staffs the reference desk, including some weekend and evening hours.
· Serves on appropriate Library, campus and UW System committees.
· Pursues continued study, scholarly activities, and creative work.
· Participates in professional and community service activities.
· Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent, received by date of hire.
· Experience or coursework in government documents management and instruction.
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to public service.
· Demonstrated commitment to professional development and potential to meet the library’s tenure and promotion requirements.
· Experience providing quality reference service.
· Demonstrated commitment to teaching.
· Interest or background in the social sciences.
· Experience in an academic library.
· The ability to bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives to the campus and serve as a role model and mentor for women and/or minorities.
New graduates encouraged to apply. Minimum salary at 0.75 FTE is $37,583.
To apply, send or email: letter of application, curriculum vita, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidate at an appropriate time in the process. Applicants’ names are subject to public release unless confidentiality has been requested in writing. Names of all finalists must be released upon request. A criminal background check will be required prior to employment. Submit materials to:
Ms. Colleen McFarland, ChairReference and Instruction Librarian – Government Publications Search CommitteeMcIntyre LibraryUniversity of Wisconsin-Eau ClaireEau Claire, WI 54702-4004Phone: 715-836-3873Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: To ensure consideration, completed applications must be postmarked by November 7, 2008. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO employer dedicated to enhancing diversity.