Bioscience & Natural Resources Library
Hiring Range: Assistant Librarian II - Librarian II
$43,560 - $75,708, based upon qualifications
The University of California, Berkeley is seeking a librarian with a scientific background and advanced degree in molecular biology who is interested in sharing his/her skills through traditional reference and bibliographic instruction services and non-traditional services such as blogs, podcasts and webmovies. This person is a member of the Bioscience Library Information Services staff and participates in the provision of reference service to the broad UC Berkeley Bioscience and Natural Resources community and in teaching through course-related and drop-in research instruction classes. Reference service and instruction are also offered though emerging technologies.
- Develop and conduct educational programs related to the selection and use of molecular biology and bioinformatics resources.
- Share responsibility for scheduled reference desk service (including Saturdays) as well as electronic reference and individual consultations, providing general and specialized reference service in biology and natural resources.
- Maintain current awareness of newly developed databases and resources and develop innovative approaches to disseminating this information.
- Collaborate with Bioscience library staff regarding education programs, digital library services, library collections, exhibits and reference service.
- Provide specialized research consultation and instruction to students and faculty.
- Provide orientations, tours, lectures and web based guides.
- Librarian experience in a research or academic setting.
- Demonstrated aptitude for teaching and developing user-oriented documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of print and electronic reference and bibliographic tools in the life sciences.
- Subject expertise in areas such as molecular biology and genomic sciences.
- Excellent interpersonal , communication, organizational and analytic skills.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively and effectively both as a team member and independently.
- Academic background in molecular or cell biology or bioinformatics.
- Understanding of and skill in the use and manipulation of molecular resources, software and search engines including the following areas: sequence, structure, proteomic and genomic.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent degree. (Candidates must complete work toward an MLS or its equivalent, and be in receipt of the degree before they can achieve career status.)
- Advanced Degree in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry or an equivalent field.
- Demonstrated successful experience in classroom teaching and/or development of training materials.
- Experience with integrating new technologies into the delivery of information service.
DEADLINE: Consideration will be given to applications received by February 15, 2008.
The Library at the University of California, Berkeley is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make positive and imaginative contributions in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity.
Professional librarians at UC are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council – American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit.
Librarians are entitled to appropriate professional leave, two days per month of vacation leave, one day per month of sick leave, and all other benefits granted to non-faculty academic personnel. UC has an excellent retirement system and sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits. Relocation assistance is provided.
Applicants should apply in writing, including with their letter a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of their education and relevant experience, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position. Send applications to:
Academic Personnel Specialist
Library Human Resources Department
110 The Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Or FAX to: 510-642-8675
Or EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications sent via e-mail preferred.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
For complete information, please visit http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LHRD/mcbioinfo.html