Position Number: (422101)
- Reopened Search -
The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the Kraemer Family Library available July 1, 2008. The University seeks to enhance learning and scholarship by creating an inclusive environment and experience for members of diverse communities.
The Library: The Kraemer Family Library, located in El Pomar Center, consists of a collection of over 1 million items plus a growing collection of online resources, including over 28,000 electronic journals. It is staffed by 9 librarians, 11.5 support staff and 7.4 FTE student employees. A large information commons area is housed within the library. The library is a member of the Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries, participates in the Prospector Unified catalog, and works in collaboration with other libraries in the University of Colorado system.
The University: UCCS, one of three universities in the University of Colorado system, emphasizes a broad range of degree programs in the liberal arts and sciences and professional programs in business, education, engineering, nursing and health sciences, and public affairs. UCCS seeks to provide unsurpassed, student-centered teaching and learning, and outstanding research and creative work that serve our community, state, and nation, aspiring to become the premier comprehensive, regional research university in the United States.
Position: The Dean of the Kraemer Family Library is the senior administrative and financial officer of the library, reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and is a member of the Deans’ Council. Responsibilities include:
- Providing strategic leadership for the coordination and management of library services
- Encouraging a climate of service for students, faculty, staff, and the community
- Serving as the primary advocate for the library
- Leading the technological development of the library
- Representing the library throughout the campus, the system and the larger library and educational community
- Obtaining resources, support and funding to sustain services by leading efforts to acquire external funding through gifts and grants
- Providing effective management and execution of fiscal policies and procedures
- Enhancing a culture of diversity and inclusive community within the library and with units beyond the library
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of personnel and fiscal management methods and practices; federal and state library and information related laws, regulations, and policies.
- Knowledge of all aspects of library administration on a university campus, and knowledge of technology applications for library services.
- Skill in leadership and management, and the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deliver student-oriented and faculty-oriented services on a campus with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
- Proven ability to manage a service-oriented work environment and create cooperative working relationships both internally and externally.
- Effectiveness in working with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to manage budgets and fundraise
Qualifications: Candidates for the position of Dean of the Kraemer Family Library will possess:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program
- A record of scholarly and professional achievement warranting the award of tenure
- A record of increasing leadership responsibilities in university libraries
- Understanding and vision of emerging technology and library services issues
- Demonstrated analytic and strategic skills in the management of budgets and fiscal resources
- Ability to lead through collaborative decision-making
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in library administration
FLSA Exempt Position: The University follows Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regulations. For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Professional Exempt Position: This position is exempt from the State Personnel system because the position meets the criteria outlined in C.R.S. 24-50-135 (1) (a): Officers of an educational institution and employees in professional positions, including deans.
Background check: The finalist for this position must consent to and pass a background investigation prior to the final appointment. This includes license and educational verification, prior employment verification, sex offender registry check, criminal history, credit history and driver’s history.
Application Process: Consideration of applications will begin February 15, 2008 and will continue until the position is filled. The application package must include a letter detailing interest, pertinent experience and qualifications; current curriculum vitae; and the names and contact information for at least five professional references.
Nominations and applications should be addressed to Jayne W. Lloyd, Kraemer Family Library, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, P.O. Box 7150, Colorado Springs, CO 80933-7150 or by email to: email@example.com; phone (719) 262-3068; fax (719) 528-5227.
The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs fosters equity in employment by promoting diversity and assuring inclusiveness