The Executive Director is responsible for managing a staff of more than 100 (75 FTEs) employees with an annual budget of $7,900,000. The Executive Director is expected to support and expand a level of public library service viewed by the community as exemplary. Proven leadership with a Friends of the Library organization will be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strategic planning and organizational skills;
- Willingness to be flexible and ability to readily adapt to change;
- Ability to work collaboratively with community organizations and municipal bodies, library networks and professional organizations;
- Demonstrated passion for public library service;
- A history of advocacy for public libraries and funding;
- A proven record of innovation.
The Village of Oak Park is a diverse community adjacent to Chicago’s western border. From the 1870s, Oak Park was one of the city’s earliest suburban communities, formally established as a village in 1902. The village was home to Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemingway, both of whom have an enduring presence in the village.
In 2010, the American Planning Association named Oak Park one of the top ten neighborhoods in the nation (number 3), “striking the perfect balance between lively city and historical hub.”
Oak Park River Forest High School has enjoyed an excellent reputation since its founding in 1873 and consistently ranked among the top 500 high schools in the United States.
Oak Park has an active arts community, and is home to numerous theater, music, dance and fine arts organizations and professionals.
Additional Qualifications and Requirements:
- Masters of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited institution;
- A minimum of seven to ten years of managerial experience with a high level of financial responsibility;
- Understanding of emerging library technologies and service trends;
- Active participation in state, regional and national library organizations.
Negotiable from $115,000. Excellent benefits
January 31, 2013; position will remain open until filled.
A cover letter, resume and names of three professional references should be sent to: aberr
Alice Calabrese Berry, Principal ConsultantCalaberry Consulting
719 William Street
River Forest, Illinois 60305