LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES
Social Sciences Librarian, Assistant or Associate Professor
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Social Sciences Librarian is responsible for serving as a liaison between LIS and the following departments: Historical Studies, Anthropology, Sociology & Criminal Justice, and, depending on qualifications, other social sciences departments such as Political Science and Public Administration & Policy Analysis. Working in a collaborative and collegial environment, the Social Sciences Librarian, who reports to the Director of the Research Commons, who reports to the Dean of Library and Information Services, will perform the following:Primary responsibilities:
· Consults with departmental or school liaisons in determining collection development decisions
· Teaches workshops, information literacy classes, and university courses for departments or schools
· Creates teaching modules, bibliographies, and a variety of finding aids
· Provides reference services in person, by telephone, and through email and chat service
· Works with the Department of Technical Services in the ordering of monographs, journals, online databases, etc.
· Performs administrative functions, including reviewing policies and procedures related to the social sciences
· Plans and expends material budget in the social sciences, within fiscal constraints, and in accordance with university goals and LIS objectives
· Writes and submits grant proposals and administers grants for LIS and other university projects
· Works closely with the department of Information Technology Services to deliver library services and resources to users via the web and other learning management systems.TERMS OF APPOINTMENT: Assistant or Associate Professor, 12-month appointment, tenure-track, continuing contract. Contract available: June 1, 2011.
SALARY RANGE: Negotiable dependent upon credentials and experience, with a minimum salary of $43,000. Excellent fringe benefits.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: The following requirements must be met by the Social Sciences Librarian:
1. A Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school
2. One year of experience in a library
3. Knowledge of library and information systems, including online searching, bibliographic search systems (such as online catalogs, federated search engine and link resolvers), learning management systems and the Internet.
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal relations skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment.
5. Demonstrated teaching skills
6. Ability to organize, coordinate and direct the activities of other staff and students.
7. Demonstrated ability to meet LIS and University standards in librarianship, research and professional service in fulfillment of tenure requirements.
8. Strong service orientation.QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED: One year of experience in an academic library and a specialized degree or coursework in a social sciences discipline. Experience with the use of social networking tools in a library environment.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled.
SUBMIT LETTER OF APPLICATION, RESUME, TRANSCRIPTS, AND THE NAMES OF THREE CURRENT PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES TO:
Regina McBride, Ph.D., Dean of Library and Information Services
Social Sciences Librarian Search Committee
Library and Information Services
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Campus Box 1063
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1063
SIUE is a state university-benefits under state sponsored plans may not be available to holders of F1 or J1 visas. Applicants may be subject to a background check prior to an offer of employment. SIUE is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.