This is a 2 year fixed term position. This position is double posted at the Assistant (3P1)/Associate (3P2) levels.
Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Interim Head, Preservation, the Preservation Librarian participates actively in the preservation of Stanford University Library’s collections by providing a broad range of preventive preservation services to the libraries. The incumbent will:
• Develop a written preventive preservation plan for the Archive of Recorded Sound and implement top priority recommendations.
• Update the Collection Emergency Response Manual and, in partnership with the Interim Head, Preservation, design an emergency response plan for Stanford’s high-density preservation storage facility.
• In partnership with the Interim Head, plan and implement a library-wide staff and patron education program including the development of a written training plan and support materials.
• Analyze and interpret environmental data for collection storage areas and work closely with library units and facilities staff to insure the best possible storage conditions for physical collections in all formats.
• Oversee the library’s Integrated Pest Management program; evaluate data; recommend, initiate, and follow-up on remedial actions; collaborate closely with library units and facilities to insure a pest-free environment for collections.
• Contribute preventive preservation content to the Preservation Department’s web site.
Requirements: This fixed two-year term appointment is an entry-level position designed to give the incumbent a broad range of experiences in a large research library. The incumbent—supported by a well-established comprehensive preservation program—will be working in a fast-paced environment where preservation services are valued and supported.
We are seeking a colleague who is passionate about preservation of physical collections in all formats including books, manuscripts, photographic materials, audio recordings, moving image materials, and digital media. The incumbent will have a Master’s degree in Library Science. A demonstrated interest in preservation of library materials as indicated by a combination of relevant coursework and experience is required. Knowledge of preventive preservation principles and strategies is required. Knowledge of how these principles and strategies relate to media materials is desired. Strong written and oral skills are required. An advanced certificate in preservation administration is desired. Knowledge of web design and editing software is desired.
Appointment at the Associate Level rank will be based on breadth of expertise and years of experience.
This is a fixed term position: 24 months from date of hire.
Apply via: http://jobs.stanford.edu/find_a_job.html
Put job number 30748 in the keyword search box at the bottom.
Scroll to bottom and click on Apply. Attach your résumé, including the names of three references, and input your cover letter.
Preference is given to applications received by September 1, 2008
Resumes will be reviewed beginning September 4, 2008