Deadline to Apply: July 12, 2013
The Interlibrary Services Department (ILS) of the UC Berkeley Library handles the borrowing and lending of library materials with other institutions in order to best support researchers in all fields and languages. Clientele are faculty, staff, students and independent researchers from the UC Berkeley and around the world. ILS consists of 13 FTE staff plus student library employees supporting three units: Interlibrary Borrowing, Interlibrary Lending and Photoduplication, and the Baker Document Delivery Service. In addition to the standard suite of software used by most library staff, ILS uses specialized equipment and software to receive, send, fill, deliver and track interlibrary loan and document delivery requests, as well as payments owed or collected. Specialized software includes: Virtual Document Exchange (VDX); CLIO; OCLC World Resource Sharing (WRS); CDL’s MELVYL Request System; ARIEL; OCLC’s Interlibrary Fee Management System (IFM); and special programs developed to allow efficient downloading, transcription and document storage. Specialized equipment includes a number of planetary and “feeder” scanners, electric carts, and digital fax machines. The Head of Interlibrary Services reports directly to the Associate University Librarian for Digital Initiatives & Collaborative Services, and works with that AUL’s management team to guide and coordinate the strategic directions, programs, services, facilities, and policies. Managers are committed to supporting staff development and fostering an environment of collaboration, creative thinking, and continuous improvement.
- Manages the operations of UC Berkeley’s interlibrary/resource sharing and document delivery services, ensuring efficient centralized operations for the Library through leadership, direction and management.
- Directly supervises professional staff and provides managerial support and guidance to a department with approximately 13 FTE including several staff and student supervisors.
- Manages and oversees, through unit managers and other staff, the accountability and stewardship of campus financial resources in a manner consistent with campus and System-wide compliance goals and objectives, meeting all university reporting and record retention requirements.
- Develops and administers policies, services, and programs which have a large impact on campus and the UC System.
- Determines staffing levels and mixture of staff and students to realize optimal efficiencies and cost effectiveness.
- Manages all aspects of UC Berkeley’s compliance with interlibrary loan (ILL) codes, laws and regulations, as well as cooperative agreements between UC Berkeley and other libraries (domestic and foreign).
- Represents the UC Berkeley Library perspective with other units on campus, System-wide, nationally and internationally around relevant issues in resource sharing (user-centric policies, licensing and legislation, technology development, etc).
- Participates as a member of the AUL’s management team in developing policies, procedures, services, human resources, operational, budgetary and facilities issues to create consistency, service excellence and ongoing improvement across departments.
- Serves as leader for special initiatives and projects which are high priority for the Library.
- A minimum of 4 years demonstrated, effective supervisory experience (including hiring, training, supervising, delegating, evaluating and motivating staff).
- Strong management skills including demonstrated skills in decision-making, leadership,initiative, and problem-solving.
- Experience providing interlibrary loan and/or document delivery service in an academic library
- Experience with software and hardware used in interlibrary loan and document delivery services (e.g. OCLC , WCRS or WorldShare, VDX, Illiad, Ariel, OCLC Article Exchange, scanners).
- Advanced knowledge of interlibrary loan and document delivery operations and best practices, electronic delivery services, and bibliographic searching.
- Familiarity with licensing, intellectual property issues, and copyright law as it relates to interlibrary loan and document delivery.
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to public services and improving the user experience.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Expert skill in analyzing, and presenting financial and operational data.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse staff and campus user communities.
- Capacity to thrive in an environment of change and respond effectively to shifting needs and priorities.
Monthly: $4,250 - $6,308 Annual: $51,000 - $75,700
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment to http://jobs.berkeley.edu/job-listings.html.
(Please search for the job posting using the job ID# 15917)
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.