The Liaison Librarian for Life Sciences serves as liaison between the University Libraries and the faculty, staff and students of the departments of Biology, Chemistry, and BEES (Biodiversity, Earth & Environmental Science) within the College of Arts & Sciences and the departments of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences & Professional Studies within the College of Medicine. The Liaison Librarian for Life Sciences is a member of a matrixed team of librarians who work in close partnership to develop, implement and assess instructional and research programs that advance Drexel’s educational and research mission.
The position will be primarily based at the WW Hagerty Library, with access to office hoteling on the University’s medical campuses. Liaison librarians are expected to contribute to the Libraries’ ongoing operations through participation in departmental planning and decision-making, and in implementation of library and departmental policies. Regular reporting of activities and appropriate statistics is required.
Librarians are encouraged to participate in university activities and initiatives. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to integrate information-seeking instruction in support of research into courses and curriculum
- Actively builds partnerships to develop programs and tools that enrich research and scholarship in life sciences
- Develop, provide, and assess course-related instruction
- Create and maintain web-based research guides, instructional materials, and web pages to help users in their research
- Provide general consultations, as well as specialized and customized reference services for users in subject areas in person, phone, email and chat
- Participate in collaborative collection development for the University Libraries
- Contribute professionally through participation in campus activities, external service, and/or publication and presentation.
- ALA accredited MLS or equivalent graduate degree
- Minimum three years of professional, academic library experience
- Undergraduate degree and/or graduate coursework in life sciences discipline
- Demonstrated knowledge of life science information resources and tools
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of pedagogy and instructional technique
- Demonstrated experience working in digital service environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of research protocols and trends in life sciences
- Demonstrated experience working with research outputs; data and/or scholarly communication
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated involvement and contribution to the professional community
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in higher education;
- Project management experience
- Experience with learning management systems
- Demonstrated success working within a matrix organization
- Demonstrated success working in a changing organization