The Associate Director has primary responsibility for the Libraries programs of liaison to Drexel's life & health sciences communities and scholarly engagement. Built through partnerships, liaison activities align and integrate the Libraries programs of information literacy, research services, collection development and access services into the teaching, research and scholarly communication efforts of the University community. Scholarly engagement, most often provided via reference consultation, provides personalized information services for members of the university community.
The Health & Life Sciences Partnership program builds and maintains relationships and partnerships with key faculty and staff of the Drexel College of Medicine, the College of Nursing & Health Professions, the School of Public Health, the School of Biomedical Engineering & Health Systems, and the College of Arts & Sciences. The Associate Director leads a group of health & life sciences liaison librarians to embed information literacy and skills development into the curricula of life sciences and to provide reference and research consulting. Working with the Director, Academic Partnerships the Associate Director coordinates selection and collections oversight for resources in health & life sciences.
The Scholarly Engagement program provides personal information services to all members of the university community. Delivered in person and virtually, by appointment or on-demand, Scholarly Engagement is the result of the efforts of twelve liaison librarians working directly with faculty and students to facilitate solutions for their specific information needs for learning and research. The Associate Director will lead the Libraries continued evolution of reference through the Scholarly Engagement program.
The Associate Director reports to the Director of Library Academic Partnerships; a division that enables students to explore and develop superior levels of competency in the Drexel Student Learning Priorities (DSLP); identifies authoritative information resources for the university community; coaches and guides community members to resources; and facilitates faculty and student research and scholarship. The Director and Associate Director, together with the Manager, Learning Engagement, form a collaborative leadership team, responsible for developing a cadre of liaison librarians in building partnerships that enhance Drexel's contributions to scholarship, teaching and learning.
The Associate Director is an integral part of the Libraries' Managerial Leadership Group (MLG), a dynamic and collaborative group of library program managers who contribute to the ongoing operations of the DUL through participation in divisional planning and decision-making, and in implementation of library policies. Regular reporting of activities and appropriate assessments are required. Libraries professional staff are expected to participate in university-wide activities and initiatives and are expected to contribute to the profession through professional memberships, participation in professional development activities, research and publication.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program in Library & Information Studies or equivalent graduate degree
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in a medical or life sciences library with specific experience in reference, liaison and/or instructional activities.
- Minimum of three years administrative and supervisory experience
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of sources and procedures relevant to life sciences reference and research; familiarity with evidence-based health sciences education
- Experience with procedures and techniques in the selection of materials in support of health sciences research, education, and patient care
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Evidence of professional development, local and national professional and scholarly activities.
- Undergraduate degree and/or additional masters' degree in a STEM related discipline
- Demonstrated participation in science or health sciences research in an academic setting
- Experience working in a collaborative, matrix organization
- Management of the Health & Life Sciences Partnership program
- Collaboration with key constituents in the life sciences and Libraries' staff to represent Libraries across the University community
- Management of the Scholarly Engagement program
- Participation in the Libraries' programs of liaison, including instruction, reference, and collection management
- Supervision of librarians with subject expertise in the life sciences
- Represent Libraries in AASHL and other affiliated professional associations that support medical and health sciences education
- Participation in budget development and management;
- Participation in Libraries' managerial leadership to evaluate/coordinate cross-functional activities;
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=77542 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Associate Director. The requisition number is 5544.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.