Eastern Washington University Libraries invites applications for a tenure track Reference & Instruction Librarian (Librarian II or III) to serve as our Science, Engineering & Emerging Technologies Librarian. This 11-month position is available now; start date is negotiable.
This position will perform professional responsibilities in librarianship, scholarship, and service. Responsibilities in librarianship will focus on reference and instruction activities primarily at the Cheney Campus, with liaison responsibilities to the College of Science, Health & Engineering in coordination with other liaison librarians. The successful candidate will make innovative use of technology to provide library programs and services.
Eastern's Libraries stimulate and support intellectual inquiry. They foster interactive relationships among faculty, students, staff and the community in the context of the mission and vision of the University. The Libraries serve as the focal point of University intellectual life by supporting academic endeavors including curriculum development, student research, instructional delivery, and development of critical inquiry. They provide special services to support faculty research and to stimulate a vital campus culture and life.
- Delivers instruction in the use of information resources to support programs in the College of Science, Health & Engineering (CSHE) on the Cheney campus and at other EWU sites as requested, to include web-based bibliographic instruction. Prepares user guides, training materials, and programs in science, engineering and emerging technologies that support library and university initiatives related to educational technologies, online and distance learning, and social networking.
- Serves as liaison librarian to the CSHE faculty. Assists faculty in developing library assignments that contribute to student learning outcomes for their programs. Promotes awareness of library services and programs to the departments and keeps the library informed of CSHE programs.
- Provides specialized science and/or engineering reference on demand. Provides general assistance to all library patrons at the reference desk and online as scheduled. May be scheduled to work weekends or evenings. May participate in instruction in the English Composition Program.
- Actively engages with the EWU faculty and students to identify and meet their information needs in an evolving information environment.
- Ability to travel to campus locations for distance education programs.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to service and instruction.
- Provides leadership in the discovery and implementation of emerging technologies in the delivery of library services. Supports and trains staff in experimenting with technologies and techniques to improve library services and programs. Participates with the ongoing development of the library's website.
- Participates in library committees, governance, and working groups. Collaborates with a variety of colleagues and clients across the university and in the region.
This is an 11 month, full-time contract, tenure track position working and paid over a 12 month period.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin 01/03/2012. To be assured full consideration, your application must be complete and submitted through the online portal by the screening date. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Special Accommodations: Eastern strives to satisfy all requests for special access needs for persons with disabilities. Requests for such accommodations are welcome and may be made by calling Human Resources at: (509) 359-2381
* MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
* At least three years of successful professional library experience which must include relevant experience with life sciences reference material and online sources.
* Ability to meet tenure requirements as outlined in the Library Plan (http://www.ewu.edu/Library/About-Us/Library-Policies.xml) or http://www.ewu.edu/Documents/Library/TheLibraryPlan%202000-2005.pdf
* Demonstrated cultural competence and commitment to serving diverse populations.
* Demonstrated high level of written and oral communication, organizational, problem-solving and planning skills. Ability to collaborate effectively.
* Mastery of technologies relevant to providing library services, including Microsoft Office applications in a Windows environment.
* Demonstrated ability to adapt to rapidly changing environments and technologies.
* Demonstrated aptitude for teaching and developing user-oriented documentation.
* Demonstrated knowledge of science literature in all formats.
* Demonstrated reference and instruction skills, and the ability to use the Internet, and Web-based resources effectively.
* Bachelor's and/or an additional Master's degree in a science or engineering field.
* A record of obtaining external funding.
* Experience with integrating new and emerging technologies into the delivery of information services.
* Experience with scripting languages.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/w9ktfpq