The City of San Antonio seeks a dynamic and experienced leader for its Assistant Library Director for Public Services position. The Library employs 530 full-time and part-time employees and has an operating budget of $33 million. A system of 26 locations (the Central Library, 24 branch libraries and one public school/library partnership), the San Antonio Public Library is governed by an 11 – member Board of Trustees appointed by the Mayor and City Council.
The Assistant Library Director for Public Services reports to the Library Director as a member of the library’s executive team and is responsible for assisting the Director in the planning, directing, and overseeing of the activities and operations of the San Antonio Public Library. The position will provide highly responsible and complex administrative support for the operations of the library system and requires working directly with other City departments, outside agencies, and key library stakeholders. The Assistant Director for Public Services exercises direct supervision over seven managers.
The ideal candidate will be:
• A skilled leader, manager and administrator with a proven track record of motivating and developing staff
• A visible leader who inspires trust and has outstanding people skills
• An innovative, forward thinker, and creative problem solver with a belief in staff empowerment and working as a team
• Politically astute with the ability to communicate and build productive relationships with the community, stakeholders, and elected officials
• A strong multi-tasker with the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively in order to determine proper course of action or alternatives
• Experience working in a public library
• Advanced knowledge of the operational characteristics, service delivery, technologies, and activities of a public library system
• Extensive knowledge and experience of public library services in an urban setting
• Track record of successful execution of new and/or enhanced public library services
This position requires the successful candidate to have a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university or college; eight years of increasingly responsible professional experience related to managing or supporting library services, including five years of administrative and supervisory responsibility at the managerial or executive level is required. Bilingual (English/Spanish) is desirable, but not mandatory.
The City offers a competitive salary, dependent on the selected candidate's qualifications and education, and a highly attractive benefits package. Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume (electronically preferred) to:
William D. Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brett Byers (email@example.com)
The Hawkins Company
11040 Bollinger Canyon Road, Suite E-216
San Ramon, CA 94582
For complete brochure, visit www.thehawkinscompany.com or contact Bill Hawkins at 310-348-8800 or Ms. Brett Byers at 323-403-8279. The position will remain open until filled. Materials received by January 31, 2012 will have first consideration.
Please note: Under the Texas Public Information Act, information from your resume may be subject to public disclosure. The City of San Antonio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.