CATALOGING AND METADATA LIBRARIAN
Position and Responsibilities:
The University Library seeks an innovative and energetic librarian to provide leadership in developing, maintaining and assessing the library’s cataloging and metadata services.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian catalogs materials in all formats, including print and digital resources. The successful candidate will work closely with staff to evaluate and document policies, procedures and workflows for cataloging, database maintenance and non-MARC metadata creation within the department. In addition, they will work with Digital Library Services, Special Collections and University Archives and other departments to help establish metadata policies and procedures for digital projects. As a faculty member, the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will participate in university and professional activities, including research, publication, planning and decision making processes for the department and library.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian reports to the Head of Technical Services.
For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://www.library.gsu.edu
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science
- Experience with MARC, AACR2, LCSH and LC Classification, as well as familiarity with RDA
- Knowledge of non-MARC metadata formats, such as Dublin Core, METS and MODS
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- Experience working in an academic library
- Familiarity with digital collection management systems, such as CONTENTdm and Digital Commons
- Reading knowledge of at least one Western European language
Salary and Rank
Minimum salary of $44,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin September 16, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Georgia State University
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202