The C. W. Post Campus of Long Island University’s B. Davis Schwartz Memorial Library seeks a knowledgeable, innovative, and energetic leader to serve as Head of Reference Services. The successful candidate will combine leadership, and an outstanding customer service ethos with the ability to coordinate and develop programs for effective and innovative delivery of reference services, while supervising a faculty of full-time and adjunct librarians, and several support staff.
The Head of Reference Services will work closely with the Coordinator of Instruction to provide leadership in implementing information literacy initiatives. The candidate must possess strong leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate a team, develop plans, and set goals; must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills and have some experience with assessment methodologies. The person will balance strong organizational and supervisory skills with the enthusiasm to initiate and support innovation and, be visionary and innovative in their approach to management and service provision. This tenure-track, faculty status position will report to an Associate Dean within the library.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Organizing and managing of reference services, including the scheduling of full and part-time reference faculty
•Managing a print and online reference collection, including ordering of new materials and weeding of existing collections
•Designing new reference initiatives in response to the changing information-seeking behaviors of users
• Collaborating with the Coordinator of Instruction, classroom faculty and library liaisons to offer guidance for the implementation, promotion, and assessment of library instruction programs and to articulate information literacy curriculum objectives and assess student learning outcomes
• Promoting the visibility and use of reference and instructional services to the wider campus community
• Creating and maintaining policies, procedures, records, reports and statistics relevant to departmental functions
• Providing reference service to students, faculty and other groups as needed
• Serving as a subject liaison depending upon education, experience and expertise
• Supervising and encouraging professional development, as well as evaluating the performance of direct reports
• Serving on library, campus, and university committees; participating in professional associations and organizations
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution is required.
• A minimum of three to five years of progressively responsible library experience in public services is required, preferably in an academic institution.
• Supervisory experience is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Additional graduate degree.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and a resume to: Human Resources, Long Island University/C.W. Post Campus, 720 Northern Blvd., Brookville, NY 11548 or email: email@example.com
Closing Date May 30, 2011
Closing Date May 30, 2011