The City of San Antonio seeks a dynamic and experienced leader for its Assistant Library Director for Public Services position. The San Antonio Public Library employs 530 full-time and part-time employees and has an operating budget of $33 million. A system of 26 locations (the Central Library, 24 branch libraries and one public school/library partnership), the San Antonio Public Library is governed by an 11 – member Board of Trustees appointed by the Mayor and City Council.
The Assistant Library Director for Public Services reports to the Library Director as a member of the library’s executive team and assists in the planning, directing, and overseeing of the activities and operations of the San Antonio Public Library. The position will provide highly responsible and complex administrative support for the operations of the library system and requires working directly with other City departments, outside agencies, and key library stakeholders. The Assistant Director for Public Services exercises direct supervision over management, professional, and technical staff.
The ideal candidate will be:
• An innovator and creative problem solver
• A skilled leader and manager with a proven track record of motivating and developing staff
• A change agent with a belief in working as a team and in staff empowerment
• Politically astute with the ability to communicate with the community, stakeholders, peers, and elected officials
• A strong multi-tasker with the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively in order to determine proper course of action
The ideal candidate must have:
• Experience working in a public library
• Advanced knowledge of the operational characteristics, services, and activities of a library system
• Extensive knowledge and experience of public library services in an urban setting
This position requires the successful candidate to have a Master’s Degree in Library Science. Eight years of increasingly responsible professional experience related to managing or supporting library services, including five years of administrative and supervisory responsibility at the managerial or executive level is required.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) is desirable, but not mandatory.
Salary for this Assistant Director ranges up to the low $100K. Offered salary will be dependent on the selected candidate's qualifications and education (DOQE).
For additional information and application instructions, please visit www.sanantonio.gov/hr/jobs and select "Executive Jobs."