Position and Responsibilities:
The University Library seeks a committed and energetic librarian to serve the teaching and research needs of students and faculty in the areas of public health and the health professions. The expanding Institute of Public Health is engaged in developing research efforts focused on finding solutions to pressing urban health issues. The School of Health Professions encompasses the divisions of nutrition, physical therapy and respiratory therapy. This position offers an opportunity to participate in instruction programs and develop collections in all formats in these area as well as others as assigned.
The successful candidate meets regularly with members of the departments to provide information and instruction about library services, collections, and programs. The successful candidate will deliver quality, in-depth reference and consultation services in the designated subject areas; develop library collections in the assigned areas; promote the library and information literacy; and foster communication between the assigned departments and the library. As a member of the public services division, the librarian in this position will provide general reference service that includes desk and virtual reference hours and is responsible for occasional weekend and evening hours. Library faculty serve on library/university committees and engage in scholarly activities.
For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://www.library.gsu.edu
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science.
• Experience using public health and health sciences resources.
• Commitment to innovative and successful user-centered services.
• Proficiency in the use of relevant technology for instruction and outreach purposes.
• Knowledge of collection development issues and trends.
• Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to pass a background check.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in public health or the health sciences.
• Experience providing research services within an academic library, particularly reference and instruction in health sciences or a related subject area.
• Experience with collection development in health sciences or related subject areas, including selection of materials and management of collection budget.
• Demonstrated interest in scholarly and professional activities.
Salary and Rank:
Minimum salary of $44,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin August 31, 2010 and continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Georgia State University
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202