LAC Group seeks a Digital Collection / Metadata Librarian for a contract position within a prestigious government agency located in Greenbelt, MD. The Digital Collection / Metadata Librarian is responsible for collecting, preserving, and presenting digital information in all formats, applying indexing and metadata, and maintaining the Library's bibliographic and archival databases. This includes metadata application, authority control, quality control, and other duties associated with the creation and maintenance of item- and collection-level data for a variety of print and digital materials.
As a member of the Electronic Library Systems Team, the Metadata Librarian reports to the Team Lead and works independently as well as with teammates, library colleagues, patrons, and community partners to develop and provide access to information and materials that support the scientific and engineering research and public outreach needs of the agency.
• Employs emerging metadata schemas to make library resources available to our patrons.
• Designs and maintains repository collections using the Fedora architecture.
• Inputs digital images, video, multimedia and other formats into the intuitional repository using XML metadata.
• Assures the quality of cataloging and metadata records in the ILS and Institutional Repository.
• Performs original and copy cataloging for a wide range of formats, including serials, non-print materials, and e-resources, using traditional cataloging principles and practices to input records into OCLC and the local ILS, SirsiDynix Unicorn.
• Stays abreast of new developments relevant to metadata, cataloging, and digitization.
• Serves as a resource person concerning OCLC, cataloging, classification, metadata, database maintenance, record loading, and workflow issues.
• Maintains statistics and produces monthly reports.
• Master’s degree in library/information science, archives administration, or other relevant field from an accredited program.
• Minimum of one year experience cataloging book and non-book formats in an automated environment using OCLC and an ILS, such as SirsiDynix Unicorn.
• Knowledge of electronic and traditional cataloging standards (AACR2R, LC classification, LCSH, MARC formats) and familiarity with emerging standards, such as FRBR and RDA.
• Experience with relevant thesauri or ontologies and one or more metadata schemas or tools (XML, RDF, Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD, OAI/PMH, etc.).
• Demonstrated knowledge of file formats, media migration, metadata, database management, and digitization techniques.
• Knowledge and recent experience with digital initiatives and repositories, particularly Fedora.
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a dynamic and changing environment.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
• In order to be considered please apply via this link to our jobs page: http://bit.ly/digitalcollection
• For a full listing of updated LAC opportunities, please visit http://jobs.lac-group.com.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer who values diversity in the workplace.