Kelvin Smith Library
Case Western Reserve University
Librarian I, Kelvin Smith Library (Job 8669), minimum annual salary is $35,000, posted 07/27/09.
The Librarian I in this position is responsible for the quality control of cataloging activities of new materials. The Librarian I performs original cataloging and complex copy cataloging. S/he creates metadata records (Dublin Core, MODS, TEI, etc.) for materials in institution’s digital repository. S/he contributes to monthly department statistics. The Librarian I coordinates the copy cataloging of two full-time Library Assistants on a daily basis and supervises the physical processing of all materials handled in the Bibliographic Services area. The Librarian I is also responsible for database maintenance and authority control. Copy cataloging activities include searching OPAC and/or OCLC for cataloging copy, verifying accuracy of the bibliographic MARC record, changing records if necessary, and creating holdings data. The Librarian I assists in the maintenance of bibliographic database by searching and correcting bibliographic records. This employee works under the general supervision of the Head of Bibliographic and Metadata Services.
• Experience with an online integrated library system is required.
• One year of library experience required, preferably in a cataloging or acquisitions related position.
• Working knowledge of one or more non-English languages is preferred.
Master of Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited school is required; second Master’s degree is desirable.
• Experience working on copy cataloging, retrospective conversion and/or reclassification projects.
• Understanding and experience with the application of current technology in a library and other instructional settings.
• Demonstrated knowledge of new and emerging technologies and their application in an academic library.
• Excellent organizational, analytical, and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability for attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multicultural environment.
• Commitment to professional development and service.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing is necessary.
• Ability to organize work and set priorities within a range of regularly assigned tasks.
• Basic typing/keyboard skills are required. Accuracy is essential.
• Experience with the OCLC system and the INNOPAC library system are desired.
• Basic ability with personal computers, workstations and networks is required.
• Ability to effectively communicate instructions and supervise the work of others.
See http://library.case.edu/ksl/whoweare/jobs.html for complete position description.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please email your resume and cover letter referencing the above job number and title to email@example.com
In employment as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to equal opportunity and world class diversity.