Our student population is mainly urban, ethnically diverse adult learners who take courses on one of three campuses or via an expanding online program. We are seeking librarians who are tech-savvy and service-oriented to work with a student population which primarily uses electronic library resources.
Salary is highly competitive and benefits are excellent. A full-time appointment consists of 168 duty days over two semesters. Additional summer session duty days are possible. These are tenure-track, faculty appointments at the rank of assistant professor. Some evening and/or weekend work will be required as will travel among metro area campuses. A more thorough position description can be accessed via www.metrostate.edu/library.
In the summer of 2004, the university opened a new 21st century Library and Information Access Center on our St. Paul campus. Our innovative, multi-purpose information commons features state-of-the art technology and electronic access to resources. In a unique partnership, the facility also contains a branch of the St. Paul Public Library. All of the librarians teach a two credit information literacy course.
For more information, visit the library website at http://www.metrostate.edu/library/
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Services from an ALA accredited institution;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving a culturally, ethnically and linguistically diverse student body;
- Excellent communication (intercultural, oral and written) skills;
- Knowledge of current methodologies in reference and research assistance and information literacy, and the ability to apply that knowledge in an academic and instructional setting;
Must be collaborative, service-oriented, and interested in the application of new technologies to library services.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, serves approximately 9,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with approximately 29% of our students and faculty coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees. Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
Application and Appointment: To apply, go to MetropolitanStateJobsOnline. To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by October 1, 2008 for a January 2009 appointment. Qualified applicants must submit:
· Letter of interest addressing their qualifications for the position;
· Current vita or résumé;
· Names of four references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Official transcripts will be required before appointment is made. For information, call (651) 793-1277. TTY users (651) 772-7687.