The University of Virginia Library seeks a creative and flexible leader for the position of Director of our “online library environment,” a comprehensive suite of tools and services to provide access to the Library’s physical and digital collections.
Responsibilities: The Director of the online library environment is responsible for leading the investigation and implementation of emerging information technologies as well as managing the daily operations for the Library’s access and delivery applications. The Director will head a newly formed department of technologists and librarians in carrying out this activity.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in Library Science or master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Information Sciences or related area. Successful candidates should have demonstrated significant and progressively responsible experience managing positions with a range of technology-specific and administrative responsibilities. Experience in libraries or information organizations is preferred.
Preferred candidates will also have:
· demonstrated understanding of digital library concepts and standards (e.g., metadata standards, media-specific standards);
· experience in systems design and systems architecture;
· an understanding of and commitment to library technologies;
· the ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing;
· demonstrated ability to manage information technology staff and projects as well as departmental priorities;
· demonstrated knowledge of emerging technologies and related research;
· strong interpersonal skills;
· and a customer-service orientation.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive depending on qualifications. This position has general faculty status with excellent benefits, including 22 days of vacation and TIAA/CREF and other retirement plans. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website at https://jobs.virginia.edu/ Search by position number FP674, complete application, and attach cover letter and resume, with contact information for three current, professional references. For assistance with this process contact Library Human Resources at (434) 924-3081.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and nominations from members of underrepresented groups.