Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
The Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for user-focused candidates with broad library experience to provide leadership and vision for our Reference Department. The successful candidate will work closely with staff to develop responsive and progressive services to match a rapidly changing information landscape, will foster an environment of collegiality and respect that promotes mutual understanding and cross-departmental collaboration, and will engage in professional development and service both locally and nationally.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Research & Education Services, this position manages all operations of a busy, innovative Reference Department with overall responsibility for 15 staff and numerous student assistants, direct supervision of six staff, and oversight of the operations of Alden Library’s very popular Learning Commons to support learning, teaching and research at OHIO. Specific responsibilities include:
• Managing all activities related to supporting and cultivating a strong, collaborative Reference staff including hiring, coaching, mentoring and goal setting
• Overseeing and coordinating cooperative services with other campus units for the effective operation of the Learning Commons
• Sharing in the daily work of the Reference department including reference services, instruction and web content development; includes some evening and weekend work
• Actively participating in department head meetings and on Library and University committees to ensure effective library management and user-focused library services
• Engaging in professional activities, especially those related to effective management and user-focused services
• Selecting materials in all formats for general reference use
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program
• Minimum three years of experience in an academic library
• Demonstrated team-building skills, including the ability to motivate, develop and mentor others
• General reference and library instruction experience
• Demonstrated commitment to innovative user-focused services
• Commitment to data-driven decision making processes
• Excellent communication skills
• Supervisory experience
• Progressively responsible management or supervisory experience
• Varied library work experience
• Selection and budgeting experience for reference resources
• Experience working cooperatively with units outside of the library in an academic environment
Ohio University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries and OhioLINK. The Reference Department currently offers reference services using an array of media including chat and text. The Reference Department team is made up of an engaged and diverse staff with a commitment to embracing new technology as a means to enhance user services. The Learning Commons, one of the most popular destinations on campus, is a technology-rich, user-centered, collaborative learning environment where help in the form of writing tutors, technology assistants and reference librarians are all available in a one-stop student service floor. Alden Library’s Learning Commons was one of the first of its kind, has enjoyed tremendous success and continues to mature and evolve as needs change.
Established in 1804, Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity). It is located in Athens, a scenic, culturally rich community 75 miles southeast of Columbus, Ohio. With over 21,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus and close to 10,000 students on five regional campuses, the university offers a diverse, dynamic and collegial atmosphere to its students, faculty and staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package, including 22 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and Ohio state employee or alternative retirement.
Highest consideration will be given to applications received by March 6, 2011. However, applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. Position available immediately. Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=57600
Ohio University is committed to the diversity of faculty, staff and students. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of our campus are especially encouraged to apply.