Reference and Instruction Librarian (50% time position)
Thomas J. Long Business Library
University of California, Berkeley
Hiring Range: Assistant Librarian I - Associate Librarian IV
$1923.50 - $2354 per month, depending upon qualifications
This is a one-year temporary, half-time position available starting January 2010.
The UC Berkeley Library is an internationally renowned research and teaching facility at one of the nation’s premiere public universities that serves 23,000 undergraduates, 9,000 graduate students and 1500 faculty.
The Thomas J. Long Business Library is one of over 20 subject specialty libraries on the Berkeley campus. The Long Library is located in the Haas School of Business, but reports to the University Library. Its mission is to serve the information needs of over 2,000 students, faculty, and staff in the Haas School as well as other campus departments needing business information. The Long Library has over 160,000 print volumes, 1.4 million microforms, and thousands of serials in print and electronic formats. In addition, a large digital library of business information is provided through links on the library’s homepage. The staff consists of 2 FTE librarians, 1.8 library assistants, and 10-12 student library employees. More information about the Long Library is available at http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BUSI.
This half-time position reports to the Acting Head of the Long Business Library. The Reference and Instruction Librarian will:
- Provides reference and instruction services for students and faculty in the Haas School of Business.
- Develops course guides for undergraduate and MBA courses.
- Participates in collection development activities of the library, including selection of print and digital resources.
-MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent.
-Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Willingness to work in a team environment under the direction of the acting head librarian.
-Evidence of both professional initiative and flexibility.
-Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population.
- Experience creating instructional and information materials.
- Experience teaching library instruction classes in an academic environment.
- Familiarity with business databases, including numerical products such as Datastream, SDC Platinum, WRDS, etc.
- Evidence of or potential for professional contributions beyond the primary job, such as publications, leadership in University and professional organizations, and other research and creative activity.
DEADLINE: Consideration will be given to applications received by January 8, 2010.
Applicants should apply in writing, including with their letter a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of their education and relevant experience, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position. Send applications to:
Susan E. Wong
Director, Library Human Resources
Library Human Resources Department
110 Doe Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Or Fax: 510-642-8675
Or Email: email@example.com
Applications received via email preferred.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
For complete information, please visit http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LHRD/instrefbusi.html.