Access Services Librarian, Tenure-Track
IUPUI University Library
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) University Library (http://www.ulib.iupui.edu) seeks an innovative, energetic, and service-oriented individual to serve as team leader for the Access Services Team. Reporting to the Associate Dean, Collections & Information Access, this librarian is responsible for the Circulation Desk, Course Reserves, Book Stacks, Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery and Building Security. This position will provide leadership, organization, and management of all library services associated with these areas. Position duties include planning, which encompasses ongoing team development, and enhancement of an excellent service culture. Responsibilities also include developing, interpreting, and implementing policies and procedures; coordination of public areas, including building security and developing recommendations on space utilization; scheduling, supervising, training, and evaluating 9 staff members and .5 librarian; collecting and analyzing user and collections statistics; and assessment of the team’s programs and services. The library values collaboration and broad engagement in library-wide decisions and initiatives. In addition, 25% of the position will be assigned to the Science, Engineering & Technology, Nursing, and Informatics Team and will be the library’s liaison to one or more science/technology disciplines with responsibility for reference desk service, research support, classroom instruction, and collection development in the assigned discipline(s).
IUPUI is an urban research and academic health science university with 20 schools and academic units. Located in downtown Indianapolis, a diverse and affordable mid-sized city, IUPUI enrolls more than 30,000 students. The vision of the IUPUI University Library is to be the innovative leader among urban university libraries. It has a staff of approximately 80 and a budget in excess of $9.5 million.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to serving both University Library users and its borrowing and lending library partners, an understanding of the IUPUI campus mission, the potential to fulfill the requirements for promotion and tenure, and the ability to work in a team-based organization.
• ALA accredited Master’s degree
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Minimum of two years managerial and staff supervisory experience in circulation, or related area
• Public service experience, especially with people of diverse educational, ethnic and cultural backgrounds
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment
• Ability to manage a variety of tasks and shifting priorities in a fast paced environment
• Ability to organize and synthesize collection and user data using Excel, Access, etc.
• Experience with an integrated library system (ILS) (Sirsi Dynix preferred)
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with current and emerging trends and technologies related to circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan and document delivery systems
• Experience with ILLiad, RapidILL, OCLC WorldCat Resource Sharing, Odyssey/Ariel, HTML/Web authoring tools, and Web 2.0 applications
• Academic library experience
• Reference desk experience
• Classroom instruction
• Collection development experience
Minimum salary is $46,000. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 9 paid holidays, health/dental insurance options, and retirement contributions of 10% to either TIAA-CREF or Fidelity plans.
Deadline for applications is Saturday, September 5, 2009. The position is available November 1, 2009. Please forward a resume, contact information for four references (include name, title, street address, telephone number, and email address) and a letter of application outlining the strengths you will bring to the position. Submit application materials electronically to Ms. Teresa McCurry at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
IUPUI University Library is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in its students, faculty, and staff.