Georgia State University Library seeks an enthusiastic, collegial, service-oriented and dynamic head of Digital Library Services who will provide leadership and management for web services, network and desktop systems, and digital initiatives. The Digital Library Services Department Head, reporting to the Associate Dean, Digital Library Services and Special Collections, leads a department consisting of two library faculty and five staff members, and serves on the library administrative team that provides overall direction for the library in fulfilling the research, teaching, and service mission of the University.
The department head sets direction for the library’s technology environment and services through strategic planning, resource allocation and management, assessment, and policy development. S/he encourages creativity in digital and information technology initiatives that respond to and anticipate user needs and ensures that the library’s technology programs, services, and infrastructure are responsive to the academic needs of the Georgia State University community.
- Plans, organizes, prioritizes, and reports on the work of the department
- Prepares or reviews annual budget and identifies resource requirements for short-term and long-term projects to ensure adequate support
- Provides leadership in development of digital and information technology initiatives and web-based services
- Leads in the development of a content digitization, storage, and access strategy
- Leads cross-functional projects to ensure goals and projects are completed according to scope, timeline and budget
- Creates and articulates an evolving technology strategy, with ongoing input from key stakeholders at all levels of the organization and throughout the University
- Maintains current awareness of digital library technologies;
- Contributes to and actively participates in local, national, and international meetings and organizations to stay abreast of library technology developments and trends and to promote Georgia State University Libraries.
For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://www.library.gsu.edu
REQUIRED: ALA-accredited Master’s degree, or a terminal degree in a relevant area or discipline. Five years of increasingly responsible experience in management of information technology and technology services with at least 3 years in an academic library or college or university setting. Supervisory experience. Ability to think critically and analytically. Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a collegial and collaborative environment. Commitment to user-oriented service. Evidence of professional activity and scholarship appropriate for faculty appointment at assistant professor level or above.
PREFERRED: Demonstrated experience as an effective project manager. Knowledge of and experience with network and storage architectures, systems administration, web services and integration of technology systems and services. Familiarity with best practices, standards, and trends in the application of technology in libraries.
Salary and Rank
$65,000-$75,000 for 12 months commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin March 1, 2012 and continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Georgia State University
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202
Georgia State University is an equal opportunity educational institution/affirmative action employer strongly committed to cultural diversity.