Chief Customer Experience Officer, Columbus Metropolitan Library
The Chief Customer Experience Officer is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to lead transformational change during a historic shift in the world of libraries, and to set both a national and international standard for what it means to be a library in the digital age. This position delivers a best-in-class vision of exceptional customer service at one of the nation’s most highly recognized public libraries. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to blend leading-edge library services with the most successful retail and digital applications from a broad spectrum of related sectors (business, education, government, non-profit, etc.).
Key Responsibilities: Service delivery to a population of 800,000 via a Main Library, 20 branches, outreach services, etc.
Programs and Services:
· Lead a deep understanding of the implication of the changing role of libraries (as a result of eBooks, online research tools, social media, etc.).
· Develop programs and services that position libraries for new and sustained viability.
· Strategically evaluate programs and services to ensure their alignment with CML strategies, return on investment and community-based outcomes.
· Work with collection management director and digital strategies director to provide the best possible portfolio of physical and digital materials to exceed customer expectations.
· Identify and implement an ongoing innovation and transformation effort throughout all customer service delivery venues: facilities, outreach, web, apps, etc.
Customer Experience/Brand Management:
· Broaden CML’s commitment to best-of-class strategies developed by highly successful retailers to deliver “wow” customer service.
· Identify signature brand behaviors that all public services staff understands to deliver a consistent brand experience that respects the uniqueness of our diverse neighborhoods and communities.
· Work with marketing director and Vision 2020 team to ensure the CML brand is represented accurately in all aspects of the branches (i.e., signage, displays, collections, furniture and physical spaces/ambiance).
· Determine the service and facility programming requirements for a $65M+ capital campaign (to be supplemented with a private capital campaign).
· Develop and implement brand-consistent merchandizing strategies for branches.
· Achieve the full potential of the CML brand by driving execution and by creating a consistent exceptional customer experience.
· Serve as a member of the Strategic Planning Team responsible for the development and overall strategy and the achievement of the library’s vision.
· Model thorough analytical thinking to continuously clarify, align, execute and improve the strategies for all library services.
· Develop, train, mentor and assess direct reports in all areas of responsibility.
· Identify and develop high potential talent for future leadership opportunities.
· Through development, inspiration and motivation, sustain and evolve a consistent culture of excellence, service and continuous improvement across the entire library system.
· Drive organizational growth through participation on key leadership teams.
· Maintain community and national visibility through high-profile participation on boards, speaking engagements, and/or other opportunities.
This officer reports directly to the chief executive officer and manages a leadership team who oversees a public services staff of 600+.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and 5-15 years of progressively more responsible management experience in a retail or library environment. Masters degree preferred.
The library offers competitive compensation and premium benefits package, including excellent health coverage, generous paid time off, and OPERS retirement.