Duties & Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Team Leader, Library Systems Support and working closely with the OIS Systems Operations and Library Support Group, the Systems Librarian implements and configures library software, triages online support questions from library staff and provides first level support for staff on all centrally managed library systems.
- The Systems Librarian facilitates staff training and will play a key role in implementing an online system for library staff instruction. Initially, the Systems librarian will be primarily responsible for testing and evaluating e-learning tools, implementing a framework for delivering online tutorials and webinars, and working within a committee structure to develop course content for all library systems.
- The Systems Librarian will provide ongoing support for the new training program, with the majority of time spent on system support, configuration and maintenance. The typical duties and responsibilities include: system support and analysis (configuration, upgrades, testing, troubleshooting, working group participation) for ILS; library staff support (functional support, discussion group participation); library staff training (coordinate training program for library staff; oversee maintenance and updates for online tutorials, consult with content experts on e-learning tools); and, documentation (develop and maintain website user documentation including reference manuals, guides, online help). This position is a one year term appointment.
- Masters in Library and Information Science or equivalent experience required
- and either 1-2 years experience in working directly with developing or configuring computer applications in libraries (e.g. macros, websites, etc.)
- or 2 years of professional level experience in the operations of a research library and a demonstrated aptitude for technical analysis and work
- Ability to think analytically and explain technical concepts and functions to non-technical staff.
- Solid understanding of technical services functions with emphasis on acquisitions and serials processing required.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
Demonstrated experience working effectively with all levels of library staff and some committee experience.
- Ability and interest in learning new applications and tools for use in training.