The University of Michigan Library seeks a Head of Print Cataloging to manage the basic operations of the Print Cataloging Section within Technical Services. Together with Print Acquisition, Fiscal Management, and Electronic Resources and Database Management, Print Cataloging provides overall technical services support for the University Library.
The University of Michigan, a leader in undergraduate and graduate education and one of the world's premier research universities, has prominent faculty, rigorous academic programs, and a diverse cultural and social environment. The university is situated in the heart of Ann Arbor, a unique urban area with a small-town atmosphere and a vibrant cultural and intellectual sensibility.
Under the direction of the Head of Technical Services, the responsibilities of the Head of Print Cataloging will include descriptive cataloging, classification, rare, special, and music cataloging, labeling and withdrawals/transfers. The successful candidate will supervise an overall staff of 17 FTE, including two unit heads, as well as work collaboratively both inside and outside of Technical Services to develop strategies and procedures that increase productivity, cost efficiency, and streamline workflow. He or she will also provide leadership and promote innovative approaches, as well as stay abreast of national trends and issues relating to cataloging.
· ALA accredited MLS degree.
· Minimum four to five years professional experience in a large research library, primarily in Technical Services.
· Working knowledge of one or more non-English Western European languages.
· Demonstrated experience and knowledge of cataloging including use of the USMARC format, AACR2, and LCSH.
· Experience with an Integrated Library System, preferably Aleph.
· Demonstrated positive record of using teamwork, productive workplace collaborations, and collective decision-making.
· Supervisory experience of both professional and paraprofessional staff.
· Evidence of strong planning, organizational, analytical, project management skills, and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with culturally diverse faculty, students, and staff.
· Demonstrated leadership, training, supervisory, and management skills.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Evidence of professional initiative.
· Knowledge of music and/or rare book cataloging.
· Serials cataloging experience.
· Evidence of experience in consensus building.
BENEFITS, RANK, and SALARY
Final rank and salary dependent on experience and qualifications. This position is anticipated to be filled at the Senior Associate or Librarian level; however this position may be filled at the Assistant, Associate, Senior Associate, or full Librarian level.
As a Primary Faculty appointment within the University of Michigan Library, this position offers full benefits and opportunities for professional development and travel, and participates fully in faculty governance.
RETIREMENT OPTIONS: TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments options available.
Send cover letter and resume as email attachments to email@example.com, directed to Robert Campe; Library Human Resources; 404 Hatcher Graduate Library North; University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190. For further information, call 734 764-2546.
Review of applications will begin immediately (10/5/10) and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action employer.